Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Gasket Material

Started by rlgrantjr, October 13, 2022, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlgrantjr

Is anyone making their own gaskets?  The bulk material I can get locally is a bit thicker than the stock Yamaha material.  Probably fine for most things but probably not for base gaskets.

tony27

If it's only slightly thicker you probably wouldn't notice a difference, will slightly raise the port height & lower compression

rodneya

I keep some gasket material to make gaskets if I dont have time to wait for delivery. Local autoparts selection is hit and miss but amazon and ebay have a good selection id thicknesses.

m in sc

I mean, you can get it in various thicknesses, but a whole gasket set is so cheap is it really worth it?  I have made sme, recently for the YL100, since 'new' ones that are pliable are near impossible to find, but on an rd.. they are cheap.

anyway,

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/fel-pro/department/gaskets-seals/section/gasket-material

:twocents:

sav0r

I wrote a response that apparently I never published, but it agrees with Mark.

I own a laser and have bought various gasket materials and made gaskets. I have also done it by hand many times. For the price of most gaskets it just isn't worth it to do it on your own. Not only do professionals do it better but they do it cheaper.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

1976RD400C

Fun fact for reference: stock cylinder base gaskets are .020" (.5mm)
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

SoCal250

I picked up some gasket material with the intention of making my own for some parts like RD125/RD200 reed gasket, carb flange gasket, and carb bowl since they are NLA. Haven't started making any yet, I still need to source some tools for cutting them (i.e. hole punches for bolt holes etc.)

This is the material that I got:
Fel-Pro 3045: Karropak gasket material sheet 1/64" x 12" x 36"       (0.0156" / 0.4 mm thick)
Fel-Pro 3157: Rubber-fiber gasket material sheet 1/32" x 10" x 26"  (0.0312" / 0.8 mm thick)
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

ajb

I bought a pack with a load of assorted sizes.  Got a hole punch too, makes life a lot easier.

rodneya

I was reading something recently where gaskets were made using a Cricut machine. Templates can be made by using a flatbed scanner or even taking a photo of the part. I was planning on buying a cricut just to play around with making decals and stuff, but now I think Ill buy the better model as it will likely be very useful.

rlgrantjr

I was asking about gasket material because I don't like using the two separate cylinder base gaskets.  I've had some that overlap and trimming them is a pain.  I've seen 1 piece for rz350, but the stud spacing looks different.

m in sc

curved surgical scissors are great for trimming gaskets, just fyi.

ajb

Swiss army knife scissors are also great for detail work, as used by Mr Millyard in his vids.