Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1984 Yamaha Gray Ghost RZ350 And So It Begins

Started by Kawtriplefreak, October 24, 2022, 07:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

Ready for 8.5 Ozs of Lucas semi- synthetic 10W fork oil $10 a pint at O'REILLY auto parts.

Kawtriplefreak

I serviced the RH fork and installed it. No leaks so far :metal: Then I got out the brake kleen and a Scotch-Brite pad and got the hideous Showa sticker and the last remnants of the yellowed clear coat off. Next I hit it with blue magic metal polish. It is far from done but looks way better. I had to stop so I could get the wheels, tubes and BT46s to the local bike shop. I pick them up Saturday...

Kawtriplefreak

Forks done. Fender on. Economy Cycle fork brace installed. It is a work of art. .Brake lines from Economy Cycle on. Perfect fit. Caliper adapters by NK racing installed. Perfect fit. R1Calipers refurbed by Evans Ward installed. Beautiful work. Thanks Brother Evans!!

Kawtriplefreak

Front wheel with new BT46 installed. Mounted and balanced by Guard Hill Cycle. Thanks Kenny and Andy!
I had to drag out the MityVac for the 1st time in years due because no amount of pumping was getting fluid to the calipers. Once I put 20PSI of vacuum on the bleeder I got pressure at the lever almost immediately. Had a couple seeps at the various banjos because I am always afraid of putting too much torque on them. 12 hour leak check complete. No leaks noted :righteous: :righteous:

Kawtriplefreak

This morning before work I fought the rear wheel with new BT46 and new Economy Cycle rear sprocket into place. Rear wheels on RZs are hateful to do. But it is done. On to removing and replacing the counter-shaft sprocket and then the chain. All in all a good shop weekend.

The Red Scourge

Quote from: Kawtriplefreak on March 29, 2023, 04:55:23 PM

Ready for 8.5 Ozs of Lucas semi- synthetic 10W fork oil $10 a pint at O'REILLY auto parts.

I had no idea O'Reilly's carried fork oil.  Good tip! 
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

Kawtriplefreak

I discovered it by accident trying to avoid the 40 mile round trip to the closest dealership in Winchester, VA. I was doing an on line query for fork oil near me. The OReilly's is 4 miles from the house. My local independent shop orders almost everything by the job and has almost no inventory.

Kawtriplefreak

This is as far as I got today. I had to stop to deliver two wagon loads of hay I sold to the local livestock market. Bent the tab lock washer back, dug out an impact socket and installed my 70s vintage Kawasaki factory counter-shaft sprocket tool that I got NOS from Rick Brett in the UK back in 2004...

Kawtriplefreak

New chain, sprockets and tab washer installed from Economy Cycle. Thanks John!

Kawtriplefreak

Refurbished rear brake caliper installed with fresh new pads from John at Economy Cycle. Filled reservoir and began the bleeding process. Tomorrow I will drag out the MityVac.

dgorms

Pivot the rear caliper up to where the pads are just gripping the disc when you bleed it, otherwise that last bubble of air is tough to get out. It's actually an old Yamaha TSB.  :twocents:
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

Kawtriplefreak

rodneya

Quote from: Kawtriplefreak on April 03, 2023, 03:34:48 PM

This is as far as I got today. I had to stop to deliver two wagon loads of hay I sold to the local livestock market. Bent the tab lock washer back, dug out an impact socket and installed my 70s vintage Kawasaki factory counter-shaft sprocket tool that I got NOS from Rick Brett in the UK back in 2004...

Did not know that a tool like that actually existed.

Kawtriplefreak

Kawtriplefreak

Today I bled the rear caliper. Hooked up the MityVac and had pedal in about a minute.   :olaf: Then I took the battery out and drilled a small hole near the front outboard corner of the battery box through a frame tab and installed a bolt and nut with lock washer. Then I put a couple of pieces of hose in between the battery and the box to stop any movement. Used a cable tie to secure it temporarily untilI can get a proper battery strap from Yambits.