This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1984 Yamaha Gray Ghost RZ350 And So It Begins

Started by Kawtriplefreak, October 24, 2022, 07:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

there you go, good deal!

Im bringing my wiring kit w me to the gap, i cant deal with that negative battery eyelet   :dawg:  :lol:

Kawtriplefreak

Kawtriplefreak

Time was limited today. I cleaned up some of the tools strung everywhere and  then put 1/2 gallon of premix in the gas tank and sloshed it around. No leaks noted so far. This break I will fill the tank with Evapo-Rust and leave it for a couple days, then hit it with Caswell. Next on the list after that is figuring out the mounting for the Daytona Velona.

Kawtriplefreak

Left side buttoned up. New polished stainless Allen bolt kit from Alloy Boltz in Fl.

https://alloyboltz.com/

Kawtriplefreak

Filled up the tank with 5 gallons of Evapo-Rust at full strength and it immediately went to work.

Kawtriplefreak

I will give it a day or so to work and depending on how good a job it does makea decision to Caswell it or not.

Kawtriplefreak

On to the next thing. Fabricating a bracket for the Daytona Velona . Bonus points to anyone who can guess what I am using.
Hint: it is off of a Kaw Triple.

m in sc

Evans Ward

I know! I know! But.. will refrain from answering since I own a H2.  :whistle: :wave:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

kpke

Tim, I have done evaporust on a surface rusted tank with no leaks. No liner afterwards. It is still in use today. YMMV

The bracket looks like a license plate or tail light mount.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Kawtriplefreak

Thanks fellas. I hope to get back out there today. If not 1st thing tomorrow.

Kawtriplefreak

I tried a couple variations and after consulting with M in SC and Frank B I settled on this one. The bracket is too thick for the supplied Allen head bolts so I used some longer fasteners and some grommets and washers from a spare RZ cluster. It was too cold to paint here today so that will have to wait for now.

Mgmark

Excellent progress Tim! There are a lot of jobs to be done to put a bike back on the road. It is never simple or easy. That's a nice re-use of that bracket! Evaporust works well. You just have to keep an eye on the tank after it is clean because it will rust again. Whatever the original protective coating was inside the tank is gone.
Hopefully it will be pretty much road ready when you get it down off the bench.
I'm looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks.

Mark
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Kawtriplefreak

Today before work I dumped the 5 gallons of Evapo-Rust back into the bucket and found the rust gone but a red liner in place. The liner wasn't flaking off but obviously not optimum either. I rinsed the tank with water per the instructions and then poured in a quart of denatured alcohol. The petcock screws were frozen but with help of my heat gun and Economy Cycle JIS impact screwdriver they released. I ran a tap on the holes and a die over the screws and all is well. Time was up so I put a cable tie on my air nozzle to hold it just barely open and wrapped a rag around it before sticking it in the fill hole with the petcock removed. After work tonight I will take the airline out and tomorrow morning I will Caswell the tank.

Kawtriplefreak

And the answer is: 1975 H1 Kawasaki front fender mount. Cut one side to fit and bent to shape. Bolt holes elongated as required. Bonus Points awarded to Evans Ward :patriot: :patriot: