Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1984 Yamaha Gray Ghost RZ350 And So It Begins

Started by Kawtriplefreak, October 24, 2022, 07:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

And I digress, worn clutch removed. Rubber dampers discarded. New Driveline Performance FZR 1000 friction plates (soaked overnight in Lucas 80/90) and steels installed along with thier 10% stronger than factory springs. Pull feels good comparable to the white RZ with a similar setup.

Kawtriplefreak

Evil clubmans be gone   :vroom:
Yambits factory RZ bars installed. I had to spray some PB Blaster around the attach screws for both switches as apparently along the way this bike spent some time outside in Canada. I had to resort to my Economy Cycle JIS bits and a 1/4 inch drive ratchet to get the switches attach screws off without buggering them up. The front master cylinder is now in the scrap dumpster minus the brake lever along with the clubman. I haId to get the 1/2 inch drive impact out to loosen the banjo bolt. Luckily I had the master cylinder off of the white RZ ready to bolt on. I was able to get the left hand grip swapped over as well courtesy of a thin screwdriver and some brake kleen. I was also able to salvage the front brake light switch with some PB Blaster and careful prying to separate it from the crusty original master cylinder. If time permits I will be getting a set of caliper adapters from NK Racing in the UK so I can put a set of Evans Ward's refurbed blue dots on and I already have an R1 master cylinder ready to bolt on. In the interim I have all the parts to do the refurb on the factory brake systems front and rear.

Kawtriplefreak

Since I have never done a water pump rebuild Frank B has volunteered his services in that department sometime when we can get together in the next couple weeks. I have plenty to do to keep me busy in the meantime. Next on the list is intake rubber replacement followed by front and rear brakes. Then on to radiator fan install. And much more to follow...

Kawtriplefreak

After months of futile searches and a canceled order for a set of Avon Road Riders MK II, I found a set of Bridgestone BT 46s from powersportunlimited.com Ordered on Sunday and in my grubby paws 2 days later via FedEx.

Evans Ward

Good progress Tim! That Yambits clutch cable looks to fit very nicely! Coming along good..  :thumbs:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Mgmark

Excellent progress Tim! Your plan is coming together nicely. I like the BT46 tires.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

m in sc

kpke

Nice work Tim. I am glad to hear your Yambits clutch cable worked. It appears that you have your adjustment screw at your lever screwed all the way in to get free play. I was unable to get any free play due to this

https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Kawtriplefreak

Hey Ken
I barely got it. If not for the removal of the rubber dampers that makes the clutch pack width narrower I don't think it would have made it. I rechecked the adjustment this morning and followed the service manual exactly pushing the clutch arm inwards ( the book says forward) while turning in the adjuster screw and carefully aligning the pointer with the adjuster at the bars turned all the way in. With tension off after that, the screw on the adjuster is just touching against resistance. I hate the design and it is ridiculous having to pull off the cover and all the associated shit that entails, drain the oil and water for a damn clutch free play adjustment. Since there is little to no pressure in the case if I was smart enough I would take a small hole saw to the inner clutch cover and put a rubber grommet in the hole so you wouldn't have to take all that shit apart. I think it would work. But I don't trust myself to get the hole in the right place. Any volunteers? Do you all think that would work?  :umm:

m in sc

weld an aluminum bung on it, like an oil filler cap or weld in aluminum bung for a fuel cap. or just go hydraulic. lol. oce you get it set you'll be fine, i didnt adjust mine for 7 years.

Kawtriplefreak

Does it sound like I did it right? I read a different method on the Rd Lc Crazy forum. One of thier guys recommended run it in until it stops and back off 1/4 turn but that isn't what the manual says?

m in sc

that'll work. i typically run them 1/2 out but thats just me.

kpke

Did you happen to check the Yambits cable against your stock cable? Obviously that's where my photo came from. The inner cable length was identical it was just where they located that lug on the cable jacket. The outer cable jacket is too long.

Have you ever thought about doing this?

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rz-350/engine-related-yamaha-rz-350/clutch-yamaha-rz-350/rz350-clear-clutch-cover-kit-anodized-in-silver-or-black/

https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Kawtriplefreak

Hey Ken,
The only stock cable I have is on the white RZ. It actually came from the gray one when the cable on the white RZ broke at Deals Gap last year 20 miles from the resort. We bump started the white bike and it made for an interesting ride back but we managed to make it without having to stop somehow...
I considered going that windowed clutch cover route but have talked myself out of it at least for the moment.

Kawtriplefreak

Today was brake day. Had to break out the impact to get the rear caliper bolts out. Pistons came out pretty easy and a trailer license plate bracket served to block the holes so I could get the 2nd piston out.