This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1984 Yamaha Gray Ghost RZ350 And So It Begins

Started by Kawtriplefreak, October 24, 2022, 07:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

Kawtriplefreak

I have a spare RZ clutch and throttle cable as well.

Kawtriplefreak

Radiator arrived from Amazon today. I will install it in the next couple of days. My new petcock and the petcock and float bowl gaskets just arrived at 1600 hours. I will swap it out as well. Thanks John at Economy Cycle for the overnight shipping. The petcock leaking is likely the cause of my fuel seeps as it failed the 24 hour leak check miserably with 1/4 cup of gasoline in my measuring cup this morning and no seeps at the carburetors.

kpke

Tim, consider something like this for a "fix" of the leaky petcock. I used them for a decade or so. They get sticky after a while then change it out. One day Prime shipping. I'm now doing the vacuum delete on all my RZ350 petcocks so no longer using them.

Taiss Fuel Shut Off Valve,4PCS 1/4

https://amzn.to/40YL7R4

Here is a 90 degree one

https://amzn.to/3NwRHuS
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

kpke

And I hope your alu radiator fits. I purchased 2 (kind of when they first came out) and had to cut off and relocate the big pin on the top. On both of them. Maybe they have gotten better.

https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Kawtriplefreak

I hope so too Ken. I noticed the pin location is different on the two yesterday when I was holding up the new one next to the factory radiator. On the factory radiator the pin appears to be centered. On the new one the pin is positioned to the back like the ones in your picture. I have to finish up the trailer fenders and service the GMC pickup before I can get back to it. Worse case if it doesn't fit I will take Evans Ward up on his kind offer of the use of his spare and change it at the Gap. I got a new RD400 petcock from Economy Cycle yesterday so that should solve that issue.

Kawtriplefreak

I have used those shut offs as well. They sell them in lawn mower shops here. The tank is nearly empty so changing out the leaking RD 400 petcock for the new one I got from John at Economy Cycle won't be a bad job.

Kawtriplefreak

What I thought would be an hour job turned into 3. I had to bend the top locating pin, grind the frame, massage the right lower mount with my ball-peen as it was strking the bottom tank and bend the top two pipes to get it to fit without striking the frame and get the clearance needed to install the top hose. I had the radiator on and off about 58 times. I ran it up afterwards and no leaks were noted. Despite the fitment issues it appears to be a good product. $ 91 shipped Amazon. The radiator guard fit at the top but due to it being 40% more capacity the bottom tabs were about 1/4 inch from sliding into the grommets so a couple of cable ties took care of that. Then I changed the petcock and the new one from John at Economy Cycle works like a champ. I left the lines off over night suspended  over my cup to make sure But no seeps after 6 hours. Then I drilled out a loose rivet on the RH chamber and installed a new one. No more floppy can. Tomorrow I  will test ride it and load it on the trailer.

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Kawtriplefreak

Test ride was most excellent. Installed NOS Nelson Rigg tailbag and it is ready to load. Thank you to everyone who helped me bring this one back and to my friend Karl Jones for giving it to me.

SoCal250

Looks great Tim! :olaf: Congrats.
Now go have some fun on it  :vroom:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)