Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1984 Yamaha Gray Ghost RZ350 And So It Begins

Started by Kawtriplefreak, October 24, 2022, 07:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

The third mount bracket will be safety wired to the bolt in the Adel clamp to prevent any uncommanded rocking.

Kawtriplefreak

The top mount. Drilled a 6MM hole in an unused frame tab adjacent to the coolant recovery tank.

Kawtriplefreak

Fan install finished except for wiring. I hooked it up to the battery and it runs well and draws air.

Kawtriplefreak

Fan clears everything and is mounted solid. Switch is also installed. I will wire it up Saturday after chores.

Kawtriplefreak

Installed the rest of my new radiator hoses and new stainless steel clamps courtesy of John at Economy Cycle.  :patriot: :patriot:
Ready for coolant and transmission oil.

Kawtriplefreak

The top hose proved to be particularly hateful.  :umm:
Then I took the filler neck loose and was able to get it installed.

Kawtriplefreak

Yboot mocked up. Plenty of room. Thanks again M in SC :patriot: :patriot:

RustyRD

It's great seeing another RZ being returned to the road, I have owned two, one  I bought new in 1984 the other was only 1 year old . Sure do miss them.  Great progress

Kawtriplefreak

Kawtriplefreak

https://youtu.be/FlpHy_EEB7A
Made some progress today. Installed the eBay Norxi temperature gauge and did an ops.check. it comes with a 10MM 1.0 temperature sensor. I put some Teflon tape on the threads and it went right in. Unlike a lot of the small aftermarket gauges I looked at there is no internal battery. It is wired to switched 12 volt and chassis ground. I wired it up temporarily for testing. It comes with double sided tape for mounting. I had bought a Trail Tech mount for it but after looking at it I decided to mount the it straight to the handlebar. More to follow tomorrow.

Kawtriplefreak

https://youtu.be/21O1472QlWU
I also finished up the wiring for the R1 cooling fan. Positive lead to the battery and picked up the ground on one of the power valve motor mounts. All connections are heat shrinked.

Kawtriplefreak

Wiring for the fan. Two push on connectors with heat shrink.

Kawtriplefreak

Relocated the aftermarket turn signals from the forks to the birdcage near where the previous owner cut the factory turn signal mounts off. The fairing won't go on with them there and you can't see them behind the fairing where they were mounted. This is likely temporary for initial road testing as I won't be running the fairing at least at first. The LH horn is droopy because I had to take it loose to remove the Adel clamp that was used to hold the turn signal to the forks.

Kawtriplefreak

Synced the 28s and adjusted the throttle cable free play. Installed the clamps except for the ones on the crossover. Next on the list is oil lines. Initial jetting is 260 mains, 35 pilots stock needles set in the middle and airscrews set to 1.5 turns out.

Kawtriplefreak

Today I filled the radiator with coolant. Had one hose clamp a bit loose near the water pump on the bottom and a few drops escaped before I caught it. 24 hour leak check has commenced. I took the plugs out and kicked it over a bunch of times, got a couple bubbles at the filler neck. Tomorrow if all is well I will put 1.5 quarts of Lucas 80/90 in the transmission.