News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

1984 Yamaha Gray Ghost RZ350 And So It Begins

Started by Kawtriplefreak, October 24, 2022, 07:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

Time was very limited today. But I am pleased to report no coolant leakage was noted. The radiator is still full up to the neck and nothing ran out of the transmission when I took out the drain plug. I plan to service the transmission and whatever else I can fit in tomorrow before work.

Kawtriplefreak

Another time limited day today. Normal life intrudes. At any rate. I did manage to connect the new Yambits oil feed line complete with factory clamps from the new to me eBay oil tank to the pump. I started fitting the oil line from the pump to the LH carb when I had to stop and get ready for work. With any luck I will fire it up on Saturday to do a quick leak check on the work done so far and then on to the fork refurb and Progressive Springs install.

Kawtriplefreak

Evans Ward

1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Kawtriplefreak

Installed new Yambits oil feed line with factory clamps from tank to pump and pump to carburetors. Temporarily installed expansion chambers and hooked up my auxiliary fuel tank so I could run it up and check for leaks. No fluid leaks noted. Synced the carburetors and aside from one float hanging up on initial fill all went well started on 2nd kick. Initial start had an air leak and realized I didn't have clamps on the crossover. Corrected that and it had a little lag just off idle. Turned airscrews in to 1 and 1/4 and it revs clean on the stand no load. Then I pulled off the wheels and forks for tire replacement and fork refurbishment, new seals and Progressive Suspension springs. All inall.a very good shop day.

kpke

Great progress Tim. The engine sounds good.

You going to do emulators on the forks? I did one or two or three videos on the process.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Kawtriplefreak

Hey Ken, Thanks yes the motor is good and tight. I think the 28s are gonna do well on it. No not going to do emulators at least not right now. I am running out of time. I have 2 more bikes to get ready plus new fenders to install on my bike trailer so it will be down to the wire for Gap Prep given the time I have to devote to it. I still have quite a bit to do this one too.

Evans Ward

Sure wish I was close enough to you Tim to give you a helping hand.. If you don't have enough time to prep all bikes you are bringing, bring it on to the Gap and we'll finish it there.  :vroom: :righteous:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Kawtriplefreak

Thanks Evans , I wish you were closer too. I will get it done.

Kawtriplefreak

Wheels and forks off. Hopefully I will get the wheels to the local bike shop this week to get the tires changed.

Kawtriplefreak

Gave the swingarm area a much needed scrubbing.

Kawtriplefreak

The chain and rear sprocket didn't look too bad. But the front sprocket is hooked badly. I have a new chain and sprocket set from Economy Cycle that will get installed.

Kawtriplefreak

RH  fork nearly disassembled. It fought me all the way thus far. Usually I can take the snap ring out and put air into the valve and the seal will pop right out. No such luck today. I aired it up and soaked it with PB Blaster and heated it up with my heat gun to no avail. Then I got the damper rod bolt out and got the seal to move using the internal fork bushing that is bigger than the seal like a slide hammer and got it to move but it didn't come all the way out before the tube came out of the fork lower. I will use my seal puller tomorrow to coax it the rest of the way out. I did have presence of mind enough to get the fork cap loose before pulling it out of the triple trees unlike the previous owner or one of his minions who put the inner tube in a vise and buggered it all up.  :bang: :bang: Thank goodness it was right next to the lower triple tree far enough up the tube that it will never contact the seal.( Not visible in this picture, apparently I turned that part down when I laid it on the table)

Kawtriplefreak

20 minutes with the heat gun, my seal puller and a folded shop rag and the old fork seal came out. I took the dremel with a steel brush to the seal area and snap ring groove and got it cleaned up. Then I got the fork lower scrubbed up and took the wire wheel to the retainer snap ring and finished it with a good bath in the parts washer for the fork lower and inner tube. Ready for reassembly, new seal and Progressive Suspension spring. I will put this one together before I disassemble the other one.

Kawtriplefreak

RH fork reassembly was straightforward and uneventful thus far. The Progressive Suspension spring is identical in length to the I assume stock spring I pulled out. The seal went sbout 1/2 way by hand and the seal driver did the rest. The instructions say no PVC spacer is required even though they include the PVC and a big flat washer. I can't recall if I used any spacers on my white RZ and again didn't keep good notes. The plan for tomorrow after chores and before work is to add fork oil and finish the RH side up then begin on the LH side.