This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1984 Yamaha Gray Ghost RZ350 And So It Begins

Started by Kawtriplefreak, October 24, 2022, 07:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

Today was rotor day.

Turns out the rotors Yambits sells for the RZ are drilled Ferodos.

The left side came off pretty easy with a couple of good licks with my BFH and impact driver. I had to break out the heat gun for the ones on the right.

Nice new bolts pre-treated with blue loctite and torqued to the recommended 14 foot pounds after all the holes were chased and the mounting surface was scrubbed with a wire brush. Took the y-boot off and put pods on to see if it helps the very loud 5K howl. Test ride tomorrow.

Kawtriplefreak

I have a small fuel seep on the RH carburetor float bowl. It doesn't leak when running but is wet after setting over night. I have new gaskets on the way from Niche Cycle and a spare carb body and float bowl coming as well.

kpke

Looking good Tim. Those rotors look quite nice. And the calipers/adapters. I think you're going to be able to stop. I have had great luck with carburetor parts from Niche Cycle.

Did someone mention hoarder?

This photo is from several years ago. I pared down some but now magically up to 8 again.

https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Evans Ward

^ yep, Ken is definitely a hoarder!  :gentleman: :thumbs: And... a true Yamaha enthusiast.  :patriot: :wave: I've extended an official invitation to Ken to attend the 2024 DG Meet. He would be right at home with all of his kindred spirits that he hasn't even met yet. Would love to see him take everything in as I remember attending my first DG Meet in 2007. I was so over stimulated!!  :Clown:

Tim- love those quality front rotors and can't wait to see and eyeball them in a couple of weeks. Although I haven't posted up pics, I too have been busting my butt getting 2 bikes ready.  :omg: :eek: Finally making good progress but it's tough on my old bones being 7 weeks post op from surgery AND with a left hip that is wearing out fast.  >:(

See you soon my friend!  :wave:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Kawtriplefreak

:celebrate: I will be right down to the wire as usual getting my stuff ready. Can't wait to see you all!!

Kawtriplefreak

I rode again today and it is pretty close to dialed in. The new Ferodo rotors are perfect and yes it does stop...I have yet to do a proper plug chop but will get to it either here or at the Gap. The pods eliminated most of the Ungodly 5000 RPM intake howl and the carburetion is now very good throughout the range. Jetting as follows: 280 main jets, 30 pilots, one lean on the needles and airscrews at 3/4 turn out.
I took the front signals off of the birdcage while the weather strip adhesive on the freshly re-glued fairing and windshield trim dried. Then I mounted the fairing. Removing the front turnsignals caused the rears to illuminate but not flash due to a lack of load per M in SC so there will be no turnsignals this year, no more time to fool with it. Just waiting on a spare carb body courtesy of M in SC  :patriot: :patriot: and some gaskets from Niche Cycle. I did a temp repair on the worn through oil pump cover which should be dry by tomorrow. Thanks to every one who helped. I couldn't have done it without you.  :patriot: :patriot:

SoCal250

You can just get a no-load or electronic flasher relay and that should solve the turn signal issue. Available at any auto parts store. Then it won't matter how many bulbs you have or if they're incandescent or LED. :twocents:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Kawtriplefreak

747drvr

if you need an oil pump cover i can give you a nice one   i replaced mine with a billet piece. it will be a 99% chance i will be at deals gap since i only live about 20 miles away

Kawtriplefreak

Yes please by all means bring it and I will gladly pay you something for it and/or buy you a cold adult beverage if you partake.

747drvr

m in sc

@ Tim, i figured the pods may slow down the air circuit a bit vs the y boot on the pilot circuit. glad that worked out.  :devil:

Kawtriplefreak

Me too. Thanks again Mark. It really runs good now. Started 1st kick with enrichener on. Select enrichener off after 30 seconds or so and it idles good. And the 5K deafening head ringing howl is nearly gone :olaf: :olaf:

Kawtriplefreak

Had company all weekend.  Very limited shop time. Thanks to M in SC I think I have my fuel seep issue sorted. I warmed it up and was about to take it off the lift for a test ride and saw a drop of something and found a leaking radiator   :bang: :bang: I  have one on the way from Amazon. Supposed to be here NLT than 03 May.

Evans Ward

Tim- I'll bring spares and can bring a used known good radiator if yours doesn't make it on time. I'll have every spare cable this year too!  :eek: :clap:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV