Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

GT750 won't idle on left cylinder.

Started by Striker1423, November 05, 2022, 09:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

The transmission looks good. One set of the dogs has just the slightest nick on the edge, like it didn't quite go into gear once. Not sure if that warrants replacing it or not.  Here's a picture of it.

85RZwade

I'm not a water buffalo expert by any means, but if that gear on the left is available, I'd want to replace it.
I post waayyy too much

teazer

They all look like that after a few years. I have seen worse come out of motors that shifted flawlessly. If you do decide to replace it, Nova in the UK have them but for the JKL transmission gear sets. M/A models had a different 5th gear set and late model A and B had different second and third gears. 

I have a list of all the gears and part numbers here from GT750L through GS1100 that I compiled when I was mixing and matching gears if you need any info on gears.

Striker1423

Yea, I think I'm sticking to the trans I have. Fourth gear for the M series is a yeti. Good news, the welder said he'd fix my cases. Also good news is the guy that was selling his sets had GT750-60185 with the transmission in it. Wants $400 CAD before shipping. Might consider doing it, but also fixing my cases just for S's and G's. The sellers cases will take even more elbow grease than mine.

teazer

I'd stick with what you have rather than having two sets of parts that need work.  i have had a couple of sets built up with weld where a chain came loose and they both ended up fine.  Took a but of work to grind/sand them back to the correct profile but that's why we have winter....

Striker1423

Yea, that's the plan. He wants another $150 CAD for shipping. Ouch. I'll be dropping it off to the welder this week.

teazer

Quote from: Striker1423 on November 29, 2022, 02:25:05 PM
Yea, I think I'm sticking to the trans I have. Fourth gear for the M series is a yeti. ................

And by some shear coincidence, the 8 valve GS750 has basically the same transmission with one or two better gears and a 16 valve 750 from say 82/83 has different dog design on the troublesome gears.  I ran a GS trans with GSX gears in one of my GTs and IIRC, those same GS and GSX gears will fit of a GT shaft with little or no machining required.

I am fitting a GSX1100 trans in my drag bike motor and apart from a couple of wider gears and longer shafts it is the same design as a GT but with updates. To fit that I needed to have bearings and shafts machined and a few other changes as well, but GSX transmissions are available.

Don't tell anyone.  It's a secret... :whistle:

Striker1423

Haha, well, working on a big update thread now. Looks like the bikes are on a massive backburner list for now!

Striker1423

I have the GT750 crank and parts kit from cruzin all boxed up and ready to ship. $46 shipping. Not bad.

Still waiting on the pistons before I send the top end over.

Next major purchase will be done Delkevics. Maybe .  Lol.

teazer

For more or less the same sort of cash, you could have a set of shiny stainless pipes from Mr Lomas.

The guy that bought the Phat Trakka managed to throw it on the ground a couple of times and the last time destroyed the Jemco pipes and did some other damage, and while i was rebuilding it again, he bought a set of JL pipes.  They arrived fast and are beautifully made. They are also the best sounding individual pipes I have heard on a GT other than 3 into 1s which always sounds awesome.

Not stock of course.

Striker1423

True teazer, however, there's a set of Delkevic pipes on Ebay for 900 bucks, brand new in the box, I don't think I can pass it up. Plus, stock on this bike is basically the goal. Think Peter Ormrod rebuild like here:

Maybe not quite as perfection, but similar vein.

teazer

Stock is nice too and Delkevics at that price sounds too good to be true. if you can get then close to that price, they are a steal.

Striker1423

Just as I was pulling out of the drive to run to UPS with the crank, the piston box was sitting in front of the garage door. Wife was like "You're back already?!" Yup, and leaving with another box to ship. This time $26 for the top end with pistons. Both should be in Anoka by thursday.

As is customary, I ran the pipe purchase by the wife. Typically anything over $500 I bring up as a "Hey, guess what I need?" conversation. Well, that got shot down pretty quick lol. Not surprised, but they're there... taunting me. What was it? Something about asking permission, then asking for forgiveness? 

85RZwade

I always thought it was: "It is sometimes better to ask beg forgiveness than to ask permission", but someone here clarified it as "It is sometimes easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission". Either way, you're not getting those pipes unless you find the cash outside the household budget. Good luck!
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

Anybody hear bad things about the cruzinimage crank seals?

A few guys on FB said their motors has problems shortly after installing these.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully gotten a wrong order resolved from them? They sent over the wrong carburetor slides. Dang it.