News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Crank Seals RD400. Looking for opinions.

Started by motodreams, May 06, 2019, 11:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motodreams

Hi Guys,

I purchased a RD400 seal kit labelled as OEM quality with OEM part numbers on the seals.  I knew they were not genuine OEM but sold as OEM quality.

The crank seals do not have castleation or outer ridges to seat the seals and are just standard seals as far as I can tell.

They all fit acceptably but I feel this is misrepresenting being sold as OEM quality without the above features. 

The seller claims no one else has had a problem with the seals.  Being sold as RD350/400 kit.  The 400 seals definitely have castleation and ridges on the seals.

Am I crazy here?
Thoughts?

Jspooner

"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Yamaha 179

That is why I buy my seals and gaskets from my local Yamaha shop.  Yes, I pay more money and guys call me crazy, but how often do you buy a crank seal (actually, two of them)?  And why take a chance?  How many bad stories have you heard about right side cover gaskets bunching up and leaking?  None of them with Yamaha gaskets.  Yes, the aftermarket gaskets are getting better but it sure took them a long time.  Seals and gaskets are not that much money and you don't use that many of them.  Penny wise and pound foolish...
Lyn Garland

motodreams

So Lyn, I didn't ask for your judgement nor the way you choose to do things.

I simply asked if this is acceptable to sell OEM seals that are 'standards' rather than with the OEM features and if I should be considering this a poor seller.

bitzz

The seal ring/ridge on the outside is missing?

It is a seal from a TD/TR3 or R5.

100% use-able.
I'll trade for RD400 seals.

SoCal250

Quote from: motodreams on May 06, 2019, 05:48:23 PM

I simply asked if this is acceptable to sell OEM seals that are 'standards' rather than with the OEM features and if I should be considering this a poor seller.

There's no reason to get bent out of shape here. You asked for opinions. (see the thread title)   Lyn, who has many years of experience and is far more knowledgable than many of us on here gave you some free advice.  What he gave you is a "best practice". He simply said what he does when he needs new seals or gaskets, he didn't 'judge' you. If you don't like his (highly qualified) opinion and his free advice, don't follow it. :twocents:

So let's move on. It is now clear that you are asking about the particular pieces you have now and whether they are "OEM equivalent"
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Striker1423

It was a common trick as a quick fix for old snowmobiles to cut locating ridges off seals to cheat a seal replacement by simply sliding them in with superglue and crossing your fingers.
Seen that work a few times.

But,  with a proper replacement part done in the service manual recommended way... As long as it seals who cares? Get it straight and swing for the fences. Pressure test will tell you if they work.

Redbird

OEM ~ made to manufactures spec.
OEM Quality ~ made to perform like the manufacturer intended.

Do they seal? That's what the manufacturer intended them to do.

If you want/need them to look like OEM, then buy OEM parts.
"When you're Dead, you don't know that you're Dead. It's only difficult for Others.
It's the same when you're Stupid"

Hawaii-Mike

Quote from: SoCal250 on May 06, 2019, 07:23:32 PM
Quote from: motodreams on May 06, 2019, 05:48:23 PM

There's no reason to get bent out of shape here. You asked for opinions. (see the thread title)   Lyn, who has many years of experience and is far more knowledgable than many of us on here gave you some free advice.  What he gave you is a "best practice". He simply said what he does when he needs new seals or gaskets, he didn't 'judge' you. If you don't like his (highly qualified) opinion and his free advice, don't follow it. :twocents:

So let's move on. It is now clear that you are asking about the particular pieces you have now and whether they are "OEM equivalent"
:clap:

motodreams

Quote from: Redbird on May 07, 2019, 02:37:23 PM
OEM ~ made to manufactures spec.
OEM Quality ~ made to perform like the manufacturer intended.

Do they seal? That's what the manufacturer intended them to do.

If you want/need them to look like OEM, then buy OEM parts.

Fair enough.  This is the answer I was looking for.  My take on OEM quality was the same as OEM seals but from an aftermarket manufacturer.  Sounds like I am expecting too much and shall leave it alone with the seller.