(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Doug Johnson of Moto Carrera Has Passed

Started by m in sc, December 13, 2022, 08:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

pulled from the Aircooled RD page on fb:

'DOUGLAS' OBITUARY
Doug S. Johnson, 63, passed away at his home in Yakima, Washington, on November 27, 2022. Doug was born on May 31, 1959, to Sherman Johnson and Mary Ellen Johnson (Benedict).
Doug was born and raised in Yakima, Washington. He was raised on a fruit ranch in Lower Naches, and graduated from Naches High School, in 1977. He was a kid with a bright mind who had a love for dirt bikes and snowmobiles, thanks to his dad that got him started at 10 years old. At a young age, Doug worked hard and became a skilled tractor driver. He saved his money and purchased his first motorcycle, and later his first car (65 GTO). He learned basic mechanics through his childhood years working on farm vehicles and experimented by applying tuning and hop-up tricks, learned from magazines to his own and his brothers Yamaha MX motorcycles. This began his passion for modifying and racing motorcycles and cars.
After high school, he moved to California which was a big dream of his. He got his motorcycle ARRA racing license and spent the next three years racing. His next job was working for a Honda Motorcycle Dealership in Hollywood, California. He became the number one Honda Salesman in the country and in 1981, became the number one in the world for Kawasaki. Shortly thereafter, Doug was hunted out of the motorcycle business, and was offered a job as promotional director for a large collector car auction company. He helped sell some of the most valuable cars in the world.
He then became a fine art consultant at a gallery in Beverly Hills. Tiring quickly of the finicky clients, he went back to selling bikes at one of his favorite shops, Honda N Hollywood, where he felt back at home. He had just turned 31-years-old when he attended a Judo class and broke his neck in a sparring accident, leaving him paralyzed from the chest down, a C-5 quadriplegic. Not able to work, he fell back on his passion for buying, modifying, and parting out Yamaha RD Motorcycles. This was the beginning of his Moto Carrera business.
Life as a quadriplegic came with many challenges, but Doug faced them head on. He ran his company successfully, becoming well known and respected in the motorcycle industry, despite facing difficulties of being wheelchair bound. Years later, in the summer of 2008, Doug suffered a major head injury after falling out of his van, leaving him in critical condition and furthering his disabilities. He was moved to Yakima to be close to his family. Doug fought a courageous battle to stay alive and always had positive outlook on life. He always greeted you with a big smile, and was delighted to see whoever came by to visit. He had a soft heart for people in crises, always putting other's needs before his own. Doug took pride in controlling his own healthcare and cherished his independence while living with his dad in Yakima. He loved going on adventures in his van with his caregivers, on shopping trips to Goodwill, the gun stores, and Bi-Mart. Doug also enjoyed going to the Washington State Fair every year.
He is survived by his father, Sherman, brothers, Mike (Kathy), and Greg, and sister, Karen Lau, as well as several nieces and nephews. He is preceded by his mother, Mary Ellen Benedict, and step-mother, Bonnie Olson.
A Memorial Service will be held on Tuesday, December 6, 2022, at 1:00pm at Brookside Funeral Home (500 Prospect Place Moxee, WA 98936), with a Reception to follow. A Private Graveside Service will be held at Calvary Cemetery, where he will be buried next to his grandma, Beatrice Johnson.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations in Doug's honor, be made payable to the donor's favorite charity, and sent in care of Brookside Funeral Home (PO Box 1267, Moxee, WA 98936), who is caring for the family. Memories and condolences may be shared at www.brooksidefuneral.com.
The family would like to thank the EMTs and the Gleed Volunteer Fire Department for the kind and gentle support they have shown Doug, as well as his caregivers, Eric and Shawn, for their commitment and loyalty. Doug lived longer because of their care. Doug was touched by so many people through the years. Thank you for all your help and support. "

RDFL

Very sad, didn't know how he was paralyzed.

soonerbillz

Quote from: RDFL on December 13, 2022, 08:45:28 AM
Very sad, didn't know how he was paralyzed.

Didn't seem to slow him down much.
Another great example showing that humans can be at their best when times are worst.
RIP Brother.

gargantua350

I used to go to his shop in Burbank.  It was always nice to see him and Stevie.   I bought the 1st generation millenium pipes from him back in the day along with his rear sets.  I am glad that I was part of all that back in the day.  I'm gonna put his pipes back on my ride this weekend and take it up the canyon.

TPR5

Evans Ward

I never had the honor to meet him- RIP. Prayers lifted for his family and friends.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

SoCal250

Sad. :sad: RIP Doug
I think I first met him at one of his 2-Stroke Extravaganza events around the time I got back into motorcycles, maybe even before I bought my first bike on the second go-around.
I visited his shop a few times back in the day to get parts and to pick his brain about tuning. He was always eager to help with advice and he loved to talk two-strokes! To this day I have a few sets of his Moto Carrera rearsets, his Millennium Sport chambers for the RD350, and his stainless steel chambers for the Daytona.
He was a good man. Condolences to his family and friends.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Economy Cycle John

What a sweet guy he was, always happy, and always helpful in spite of living in complete physical misery. RIP buddy thanks for all the help.
www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Hawaii-Mike

Bummer - I met him and Rob Hodges (former RD guy) at MotoCarrera about 20 years ago and we had lunch.  Rest in Peace.

Kawtriplefreak

2steve

Quote from: SoCal250 on December 13, 2022, 01:21:46 PM
There's a nice video tribute with old photos at this site. Worth checking out
https://www.brooksidefuneral.com/obituary/douglas-s-johnson

Thank you for that vid!
I was late to the game, but managed to buy from his last batch of swingarm bushings.

pdxjim

I met Doug at Hansen Dam in 2003.

I flew down to LA, and was picked up at the airport by Rob "200mph Buttrider" Hodges. He had Ashley "Ash" Hay and Gavin "Gavin" Prior from the UK in tow.  We were all on Alek's UK RD forum back then (and maybe on Buttrider's "USA2Strokers" forum by then as well).

Due to the presence of party animal Buttrider, and my easily impressionable nature, the details are pretty fuzzy, but I do remember dragging a trailer with Rob's Daytonas around LA in a lifted Escalade, meeting Robakun, MB Steve, and a few other OG RD heads in Long Beach the night before the show, rolling out to Hansen Dam and standing around hungover in a parking lot all day, meeting Doug Johnson, Swifty Hernandez, MB Steve's dad, and the rest of the  LA/SD Alek's forum guys, etc.

The next day, Rob, Ash, Gav and I rolled down to SD where I was dropped off to meet my wife at my old buddies house in Chula Vista where we then all popped down to Baja for a few days of sun and surf.

At least I think that's the way it went down ... it was almost 20 years ago and I was pretty wasted for most of it.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

kpke

Truly a pioneer in the 2 stroke world. I wish I could have met him. RIP Doug

Just watched that nice tribute video. Very nicely done.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Plasticman

I spoke with Doug many times over the years and he helped me get my RD400 back into racing shape.  Always enjoyed our conversations.  He will be missed.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)