Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

front fenders

Started by kramdua, January 04, 2023, 02:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kramdua

my preference is to have a front fender. i actually installed an extension to my rd350b fender. i just don't want all the road debris or water up into my engine etc.. i think the fender bracket is a fork brace also.
would like to hear plus and minuses on fenders.
thanks,
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

RDFL

I don't want water sprayed into my face, but if for some reason I did would at least have a brace.

SoCal250

A fender is needed to tie the front end together and provide stability. And it looks real dorky without it.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

pidjones

My first bike was a '69 Triumph with hardtail and 12" over springer front end. A great looking bike and ran pretty good (for a Triumph). But I learned early that riding it on a wet road pumped water under the faceshield up my nose!
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

LMS

My 75 350 has a 400 fender on it that is pretty junkie. I spent a good amount of time trying to find a reasonable fender to replace but did not want chrome. Thought about cutting some length off, sanding chrome down, filling dents, etc. But it's to beat up. Bought a cheapo one off ebay, nah. Here's what I found out being a newb and all. The stock front fender has somewhat of an integrated fork brace, a lot of aftermarket fenders don't. I cut out the brace and will graft a fender to it once I pick one out in hopes that it meets my needs. 
To each their own.
Oh, and I will never ride this bike in the rain.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

kramdua

thanks for the feedback. i know my 75 rd350 fender mount is much more solid and thicker than the 400.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

m in sc

ive tried a few w out a fender, always regret it and wind up putting one on. IF you go with aplastic of fiberglass one, you def should brace the forks.
I added one onto the lightweight bike, especially after getting caught in the rain a few years ago in the mts. Mine is a hand wheeled titanium mini one with a tube brace i fabricated and def ties the front end together. 

Dvsrd

I guess the only drawback to the stock RD 350 front fender, is that it is quite heavy, and all that is unsprung weight. A fiberglass cafe fender, plus an alloy fork brace is quite a bit lighter.