This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Yamaha Competition Yellow Paint 0026

Started by 4schizzle, January 11, 2023, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4schizzle

Good Morning,

I was searching the forum as I am looking for the PPG paint code for Yamaha Competition Yellow.  No one at the paint shop can locate the Yamaha paint code. 

Per a search of this forum:

This is what I have found
PPG color code for the '85 RZ yellow
Yellow: dbc83033k
RAL reference 1028.
this one may be the best option.

Has  anyone tried this PPG paint code or know one that is close the the Yamaha yellow?

The guy at the paint store said that dbc83033k is an "International" color yellow. 

Thanks

SoCal250

I have no direct experience with matching Completion Yellow (although my Daytona is painted that color by the PO). In my notes I have that some PPG reference that you posted.
Here's another option:
Competition Yellow 0026: https://www.colorrite.com/product/yamaha-0026-competition-yellow-cpy-1741.cfm
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

SoCal250

Check with rz350ypvs. He had some paint mixed up from the PPG info a while back and can probably give you some info
https://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=985.msg7660#msg7660

And here's another option for you.
https://vmrpaints.com/products/yamaha-motorcycle-competition-yellow-restoration-paint
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

RSW46

I painted my RZ with the PPG Deltron 83033 and found the color pretty close to original but have not parked it next to one with original paint to compare it against. I painted my RD with Dupli-color chrome yellow, and it was pretty close to the RZ before I painted it but may have been just a tad brighter. That could have been the aged clear coat on the RZ original paint causing the impression. Now the two bikes look pretty close on the shade yellow.
Robert

4schizzle

Quote from: RSW46 on January 11, 2023, 03:47:37 PM
I painted my RZ with the PPG Deltron 83033 and found the color pretty close to original but have not parked it next to one with original paint to compare it against. I painted my RD with Dupli-color chrome yellow, and it was pretty close to the RZ before I painted it but may have been just a tad brighter. That could have been the aged clear coat on the RZ original paint causing the impression. Now the two bikes look pretty close on the shade yellow.

Thanks RSW46.  I think i am going to go with the Deltron 83033.  Looking at the pictures, they look pretty close.  I have been looking everywhere and this is the best info/pics that i have seen. 

I will post the pictures when they are done. 

4schizzle

I used the Deltron 83033.  I like it but yellow is a little too green.  I think if the yellow had more brown in the color mix it would be closer but what do i know. There are only so many options available.  You would not be able to tell unless next to a stock one.  I am happy with the outcome.  Thanks RSW46 for the help.     

4schizzle

Forgot to add one. 

paul1478

when I pained my bike, I told the guy what I was going for (Competition yellow) and he had me come look at what he found. I was a yellow from a Honda Civic.
close enough for me.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

RSW46

The tint does look a little different then the mix they did for me using the same number. Here is my current project I just finished painting using the same paint I used on my RZ.

Regards Robert
Robert

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

rlloydm

Quote from: RSW46 on March 10, 2023, 03:55:11 PM
The tint does look a little different then the mix they did for me using the same number. Here is my current project I just finished painting using the same paint I used on my RZ.

Regards Robert

Could I ask where you got those graphics? I'd like to do something similar on my race bike.

Thanks!

RSW46

The only graphics was the Yamaha lettering. I think I got them off eBay, but not sure since I also like to get item like that from Economy cycle. I was looking for a specific height on the lettering to match the blocks I wanted to use. The attached shows the beginning of masking for the black paint.
Robert

4schizzle

Quote from: RSW46 on March 10, 2023, 03:55:11 PM

Regards Robert

The tint is defiantly closer on the mix you got.  I am happy with outcome it is just going to get sandblasted with pea gravel anyway.  Thanks again for the info. 

RSW46

Glad to help, just passing it on as someone helped me when I was looking for the color years ago. It does darken a little with the clear put on top.
Robert