News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

one more day

Started by kramdua, January 22, 2023, 02:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

you are going to hate me for telling you this NOW, but chevrolet orange (engine) is a dead match for portugese orange.

Brad-Man

Chevrolet engine orange is what I have my '75 project painted.  Awaiting application of decals and clear coating...
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

mixedbikes

The reason I asked about color is that I have been looking at colors for my 75. The engine orange looks perfect. I looked at the Dupli Color Hugger Orange at the local oreillys and it looks very close also. What do you guys think of it?

m in sc

parts of this were original, some done w chevy engine orange.

(one of my old bikes)

teazer

So it's really a Chevy 350 is what you are saying...  :whistle:

kramdua

that is identical to the rd i had in high school. that was my transportation to school and work no matter the weather. graduated in 1981.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

kramdua

i was a ford mechanic for 30 years. i bought this mac dial advance timing light new. the date code is 01/85. still works great.
I checked the timing today and it was right on 1.8.
then something went wrong with my ignition so i need to diagnose further. something to do.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

kramdua

got the timing checked and ok. had an oil leak only when running. actually oil ran down the kick stand. even though it showed up on the left of the bike it was from the right side cover and needed to be torqued. like a lot of others the oil looked like it was from the engine studs but luckily it was just the cover. of course i removed the exhaust to diagnose it. it was worth removing the chambers to clean any of the oil residue. NEXT.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

kramdua

i was lucky that my older brother bought the rd350b brand new. he then went to trade school in Oklahoma. he left me the bike. when i was 16 i used it to get my M/C license.
i also had a job and i put bassani chambers, air pods, and i can't remember if i or who jetted it. that's what i rode year round. after 2 years my brother was coming home so i threw all the stock parts back on and cleaned it up. he looked at it and said i can't believe how well you took care of it. then he said what happened to the chambers? i found out my sister sent him a picture of the bike while he was gone. end of the story we bolted all the performance parts back on.
you got to love a brother like that.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

350GUY

That's a great story. Blast from the past. Thanks for sharing.

kramdua

well here it is 1 month later of my one more day post. everything is good and in working order. i know for a fact i have had the carbs. off at least 8 times. what i had on a test drive yesterday was a flat spot right off idle which i couldn't adjust out with air screw. went up on the pilot and put carbs back on today.
The weather should be in the 60's.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

kramdua

i finally think i got it set for the cold weather. come summer i think it will only need the air screw adjusted. Here are my plugs. tell me what you think.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

m in sc

looks safe down the porcelain, but a true plug chop will be best. how did it feel?.

try to richen the needle one clip and back off the pilots a bit with the airscrew, see if thats better. my rule of thumb is throw as much fuel as it will take safely. i think you are compensating, possibly where the needle needs to be with the pilot.

:twocents:

kramdua

i think you are correct. i was just thinking today that i may be going up on the pilot to compensate for the needle. we will see tomorrow on my 79 degree day.
thanks,
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

kramdua

also it does run very good. maybe a little flat before the power band. i am pretty sure the main is right on because it pulls really strong above 75% throttle.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.