News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

R5 Exhaust Design Question

Started by RD4140, January 24, 2023, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD4140

Is there anything special about the R5 pipes?

I know exhausts with chambers and pea shooter pipes are all designed very specifically, but is there anything about the R5's exhaust design that makes it particularly suitable for this bike? It really seems like just a coupla straight pipes.

If you made a custom exhaust, and kept the lengths, ID etc pretty close and used the same/similar baffle, would it matter that much outside of having to adjust your carbs to suit?

Sorry for the question but (might be showing my age here) my experience with exhausts is pretty much limited to downloading the correct engine mapping and loading it onto the bike via bluetooth haha.

Thanks for any info.

m in sc

theres basically a small chamber inside, so straight pipes would not work well. baffle plate placement is also very important. straight pipes... its been tried, and it sucks. also baffle configuration matters quite a bit as well. rd250/350 baffles will work in r5 pipes, as will rd 250/350 pipes... if the root of this is because you need an exhaust? of just dont like the way they look? or just curiosity?

RD4140

A bit of curiosity as at some point I want to get some custom pipes made ... but also because I just tried to line my pipes up but they clash with the swing arm that I've put on. I'm gonna have to get creative.

Also I'm pretty sure there's a small eco system in the pipes as they were just rolling around in the mud for who knows how many years.

If I was to clean them out, (there's definitely dirt and mud up in them), whats the best method? Would high pressure water F.S.U?

m in sc

take the baffles out and a pressure washer will def help

Evans Ward

Aerosol oven cleaner works well prior to the hose or pressure washer. I like to let the oven cleaner sit in the exhaust laid out flat on ground for about an hour before flushing.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

RD4140

Reviving old thread as this is a bridge I'll have to cross soon ... putting the interceptor swing arm on has lengthened my wheel base by a few inches and its a decent bit wider. Now I've gotta deal with it clashing on the stock pipe.

Is it possible to cut a chord of the OD out and weld in a reduced section without it being a huge bitch or effecting the baffle?

Is there an after market pipe that stays clear of the original swing arm by ~10mm each side? Something with a narrower outter diameter maybe?

m in sc

are those piep sin decent shape? the seamed ones are hard to find.

you can notch the pipes down to clear stuff. but man id hate to see a set of early pipes (if they are decent) butchered. 

RD4140

I assumed they were all seamed as I have two sets and both are seamed. I think they're in okay condition aside from being dirty, no real dents or scratches. Although one flange is chipped.

One set lived in a junkyard in Olympia, and the other set lived in the mud in some crackheads yard in Seattle, so they've both been exposed to the elements thats for sure.

If anyone wants the set that I don't end up using, they're welcome to them.