Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Build RD motor in Frame?

Started by JBeasty, March 18, 2023, 10:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBeasty

I have the bottom end of the engine assembled, no side cases. I'd like to put it in the frame and build from there because it's kinda heavy and I'm a one man show. Also, don't want to scratch up my freshly painted side cases. Any reason I shouldn't do it that way?
1977 RD400

rodneya

No prolem at all doing it that way

Striker1423

If running points and its attached... just be careful with it. But, if you assemble the charging system afterwards, no issue.

kramdua

i have done several different bikes that way. much easier on back and paint.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

JBeasty

1977 RD400

RDryan

+5 yeah your good to go, I did the same thing with mine.  :thumbs:

m in sc

yup. no issues to speak of. I usually do it this way as well, however we did matts 400 motor out of the bike (top end at least, left the  sidecovers off) because it was going to sit for a few mos till the frame came back and didn't want to leave the crank area exposed.  :twocents:

Brad-Man

If you are putting an RD400 engine in an RD350 frame do you have to have pistons and cylinders assembled or can you attach Pistons and install cylinders with case in frame.

I'm thinking I remember that cylinders and Pistons need to be assembled first, but my memory is getting suspect...

Thanks.
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

m in sc

ive heard people say it can't be done.. but it can. you just loosen the front motormount bolts, and the rear upper one if its being used and you can -just- squeeze the cyls on. heads are easy. but its tight.

Brad-Man

Thanks.

I'll try it.

I just have to blast the fins and paint the cylinders before I start to put the engine in....
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

1976RD400C

On the 400 there is a flat spot made on the underside of the frame rail, to allow enough clearance, so you can just get the cylinder on.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

pidjones

I'm a 70 year-old weakling, and never considered the RD400c very heavy. Having it in-frame might help torquing a few bolts, but I rebuilt mine on the bench and stored it in a plastic storage bin until the frame was ready. Maybe all the GL1000s I've wrestled changed my perspective.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Striker1423

This GT750 motor has me questioning my arm strength. I do not look forward to hauling it up the basement stairs once built. It went down in pieces. I just like that the basement is somewhat temperature controlled for motor rebuilds... as Michigan does its Spring/Not Spring cycle.