Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Yamaha Blaster ATV w AC RD350 engine

Started by IR8D8R, April 05, 2023, 02:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IR8D8R

Yamaha Blaster "Banchee" (sic)... That's what it says.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144982219824?hash=item21c19d1c30.

Not sure about the pipes on this one.  :umm: I think the acoustic effect doesn't work without a megaphone in the front of the chamber. The builder must not know 2-strokes.

Not a big ATV fan. I see a 350 engine. Therefore it isn't worth what he is asking. I'm posting purely for academic reasons.

I'd be afraid it would overheat.  :boom:

Not mine, no interest.

IR8D8R

m in sc

plenty of aircooled quads out there, but that exhaust is a fucking joke. nice flat slides though, and sounds like a cdi was added.

Jspooner

Other than the exhaust it looks decent. I see it has the new "hydrologic" brakes and clutch.  :Clown:
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Striker1423

That guy would have been better off fitting some form of banshee pipe.

paul1478

When I was 16 I went to a car show. Someone had a go cart with an R5 motor in it.
It was just the little small wheel go cart. Man I wanted to drive that so bad.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

IR8D8R

A friend of mine's older brother had a go-kart with an RD400 engine in it. It was one of those old fun karts that previously had a Briggs 3.5 horse lawnmower engines. kit built or Sears kart. Scrub brakes and hand truck tires. It was so damn cool!

We kids were pretty impressed that it was faster than the cars on the freeway, driven in the parking lot of the Oakland Coliseum. Ca. 1977. It was much faster than my 5HP Briggs mini-bike. It was not safe. The 5 horse in my minibike had the spark plug sticking up right in front of the seat. It had originally been a 3hp. The plug would shock you in the nuts if you slid up too far on the seat. The rear sprocket was about 1/2" smaller diameter than the back wheel so you turned left on the chain and sprocket.

The RD kart was one of the things that made me want an RD 400 when I got my DL a few years later. I was infected by it.

IR8D8R

RDryan

I actually have a 2003 Blaster. I parked it right outside my front door in running condition. It was a fun little thing at the time and for about three or four years I would just take rips on it here and there having fun in my yard and the neighborhood. Really tough 200cc two stroke, I parked it running but she's sat for at least several years now. Not seized which is amazing but left totally wet. I dunno what to say I got bored of it and never tried to part with it and now it's a sorry looking site. Would need a total rebuild but it's all there. When I was more into it I would see folks do this and that for more power. A popular mod was putting a Honda CR250 engine in em and there was a guy that put a YZ400 in one. However there is a lot of cheap rebuild stuff for the stock motor on Ebay, not a particularly powerful engine but maybe a good potential powerplant for something else. Me saying that as I am not into atv's :whistle:

Evans Ward

I looked at his other item for sale on eBay which he calls a RD200.  :whistle: :umm: Check out that custom 2-1 pipe with dirt bike end can!!  :help: :olaf: Totally bitchin'!  :righteous: :dawg: :celebrate:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

m in sc

@ ryan, a blaster motor was my 1st thought for the grom swap before i put the suzuki motor in it. they are tough little motors for sure.
i think the whippets had a blaster based, but liquid cooled  motor.  (SDR200)

RDryan

Quote from: m in sc on April 17, 2023, 07:48:27 AM
@ ryan, a blaster motor was my 1st thought for the grom swap before i put the suzuki motor in it. they are tough little motors for sure.
i think the whippets had a blaster based, but liquid cooled  motor.  (SDR200)

Oh yeah that's right I don't quite remember reading about that SDR200 but I do remember that liquid cooled version of the blaster motor. I maybe it was in a dualsport bike?...OK just googled it, I totally forgot about it. The DT200, it was imported to Canada however and without brushing up on too much of it's history now I know the appeal of it regarding the Blaster crowd. As a stock blaster engine only put out something like 17hp and those liquid cooled versions were literally double the hp. Ha,ha didn't know about that whippet though it sounded familiar. Well I do also remember that with a aftermarket pipe and jetting mods and a Vito's 240 bigbore kit the blaster could be modded to put out a claimed 34hp as well. Although upon googling that I see it's still out there and kinda pricey, all in with a pipe it's like a thousand bucks and really don't know how reliable it is at that point plus I thought I recall folks saying that it necessitated using a high octane race fuel. I remember thinking well that's cool but if I were looking for more power the 250 motocross bike motor swap just seemed better in the long run and after all that I just had all the fun I could ever want outta a blaster. LOL.

Yeah the blaster motor in your Grom might've been a fun result, simple air cooled but kinda boring in my opinion however it would be interesting just to see if it could be livened up powering a much lighter bike. However that Suzuki motor seems so much sweeter all the way around. Being liquid cooled and bigger displacement.

I will admit some fun times were had on my Blaster. Being all stock it would keep up with 450cc four stroke quads as well a certain Honda TRX250 two stroke out on tighter single track trails. It was a pretty rev happy little motor in a short wheel base atv so it seemingly had a great power to weight ratio although I don't think that was quite the case.

m in sc

yeah, we had one at work years ago, one of the owners kids had it and i ported it, did some other work to it and it was a huge difference, dam thing would loft the front end allt he way thru 3rd, very undertuned in stock form, but a great little motor.

Kawtriplefreak

Amen to that. I have an 89 Blaster with TORS delete and an FMF pipe. I cleaned up the ports and put a forged Wiseco in it and it moves right along. I concur with and have done the 3rd gear power wheelies slinging cowshit in the pasture on more than one occasion. Frank B has expressed an interest in it and I hope he buys it before I get tempted to ride it again...

kramdua

there is a reason they are called expansion chambers and these are killing the power. waste of an engine in this build. i have ridden a blaster before and the original engine was plenty for a short and narrow atv..
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.