This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1995 Aprilia RS-250 Reggiani

Started by Aloha808, April 14, 2023, 09:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aloha808

Not mine but somewhat interested. 

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/d/waianae-1995-aprilia-rs-250-reggiani/7610497052.html

Anyone have any knowledge on these bikes?  Are parts hard to come by?  I bet it is a lot of fun to ride.

I have been thinking about buying that RD 400 with the TZ350 engine (the blue one for 6,995.00).  Now this has come up.

Any thoughts on which would be a better bike to own?

Thanks

SoCal250

That RS has been for sale forever! More than a year, maybe two. I believe the seller bought it throught Moto2 Imports in DC.  I think it was originally priced at $13K, then $12K for a long time. The price has really been lowered now. Maybe he's desperate and you can strike up a even better deal.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

BlueR32

That's a hell of a good price for one of those. Good ones usually trade up around 10-12K. I have ridden one (a friend owns it) and it's super fun. Very lightweight and razor-sharp handling. Would be brilliant at the track. Uses the Suzuki RGV250 90 degree v-twin motor (kick-start only) and it's is a little more tingly than my RGV250SP which has the later 70 degree v-twin. Parts are fairly easily obtainable and AF1 Racing in TX is the go-to source for parts and knowledge.

The Red Scourge

That's a good price.  Shipping would probably cost a lot.  Decent cup bikes (track only) are selling for that or more these days.  RS250 parts aren't just laying on the street corner, but not impossible to find.  Easier to find parts for it than my CBR400RR.  At least the RS was sold in the US.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

Aloha808

Thanks gentlemen for the good information.

I am waiting for the owner to get back to me for a day and time to check it out.

Thanks again!

RDryan

So I take it you'd rather have the Aprilia?...Maybe a wiser choice. Like many others I've been looking at the souped up RD/RZ and I think it looks awesome, I love the paint scheme, wouldn't change a thing but maybe just touch it up here and there. No kickstart on that motor though makes it challenging to ride in real world situations. Such as you stop by a buddies for more than say a half hour and the motor cools down and there's no steep downhill....or you stall her at a stoplight.  :whistle:

pdxjim

If I lived on an island way out in the middle of the ocean, and a $6500 RS250 came up for sale nearby I'd be all over that sh!t like RIGHT NOW!
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Aloha808

Quote from: RDryan on April 16, 2023, 07:14:08 AM
So I take it you'd rather have the Aprilia?...Maybe a wiser choice. Like many others I've been looking at the souped up RD/RZ and I think it looks awesome, I love the paint scheme, wouldn't change a thing but maybe just touch it up here and there. No kickstart on that motor though makes it challenging to ride in real world situations. Such as you stop by a buddies for more than say a half hour and the motor cools down and there's no steep downhill....or you stall her at a stoplight.  :whistle:

Yep, the Aprilia is what I a hoping to get at this point. It is on island, so I won't have to consider shipping costs.  I am getting a little push back from my wife.  I told her after this bike, I will sale a bike before getting any others.     :eek: 

By the way, I didn't even think of the no kick starter scenarios that could occur with the rd/tz bike.  I am definitely getting to old for that.

Quote from: pdxjim on April 16, 2023, 02:19:21 PM
If I lived on an island way out in the middle of the ocean, and a $6500 RS250 came up for sale nearby I'd be all over that sh!t like RIGHT NOW!
I agree with you.  I wanted to see it yesterday.  The owner is supposed to get back to me to see the bike.  I hope it happens soon.  He doesn't live on this island.  He sent it to Oahu for the ease of sale.  Apparently it is being stored in a crate on Oahu.
I am already to pull the trigger if all looks fine.      :vroom:

rodneya

How easy is it to move a bike, or a car between Islands over there?

RDryan

Quote from: Aloha808 on April 16, 2023, 06:08:35 PM
Quote from: RDryan on April 16, 2023, 07:14:08 AM

Yep, the Aprilia is what I a hoping to get at this point. It is on island, so I won't have to consider shipping costs.  I am getting a little push back from my wife.  I told her after this bike, I will sale a bike before getting any others.     :eek: 

By the way, I didn't even think of the no kick starter scenarios that could occur with the rd/tz bike.  I am definitely getting to old for that.

Yeah just taking a guess having no easy way to start it maybe the rub for a lot of folks. I'm not a serious buyer, I could be if I sold a bike or two that I don't use LOL. I will say that I keep an eye out for the bikes I lust to have, don't we all?....so yeah no kickstart was my first observation and second to that was no air filters but that's no big deal but then I just wonder in what state of condition the motor is in and where to get parts as it is a race motor and kinda rare. I guess it's no different than the Aprilia?, you would just have to inquire with the right owners groups but bikes that have been sitting no matter how well kept, so they say... I think sometimes it could get more expensive on top of the 7k cost of just acquiring that particular one. 

SoCal250

Quote from: Aloha808 on April 16, 2023, 06:08:35 PMHe doesn't live on this island.  He sent it to Oahu for the ease of sale.  Apparently it is being stored in a crate on Oahu.
That's odd. :umm: If he doesn't live there why would he send it there for "ease of sale"? By sending it Oahu he greatly decreased his buying pool.
It has a California title so it would be much easier to sell here! Buyer's pay good money (sometime stupid) for a 2T gray market bike with a title here.
And it's always easier to sell a bike when you can be on site.

In the end it's better for you though! I hope it works out for you. The price seems pretty reasonable now.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

IR8D8R

He probably lives on a different island with less population than Oahu/Honolulu. Maui, Kauai, or the Big Island.

Aloha808

Quote from: SoCal250 on April 18, 2023, 11:27:07 AM
Quote from: Aloha808 on April 16, 2023, 06:08:35 PMHe doesn't live on this island.  He sent it to Oahu for the ease of sale.  Apparently it is being stored in a crate on Oahu.
That's odd. :umm: If he doesn't live there why would he send it there for "ease of sale"? By sending it Oahu he greatly decreased his buying pool.
It has a California title so it would be much easier to sell here! Buyer's pay good money (sometime stupid) for a 2T gray market bike with a title here.
And it's always easier to sell a bike when you can be on site.

In the end it's better for you though! I hope it works out for you. The price seems pretty reasonable now.
Apparently they (Husband and wife) have been living on the Big Island for quite some time( I believe the wife said on a coffee farm).   My best guess is that the owner has more then one home.  Probably in California and the Big Island.  They probably did not want to hassle sending it back to Cali for the sale.  As you said Russ, better for me!

I spoke with the wife and she stated that someone else is interested but I have first crack at it.   :celebrate:

Hopefully I will get a chance to see it this week.  The owner (husband) is currently in the hospital.  Were trying to coordinate a date/time/ and place for purchase.  The wife is planning to fly to Oahu for the transaction.

@ IR8D8R You are correct about the population differences and the better chance to sell would be on Oahu. 

Hawaii-Mike

Russ that might be the same guy I bought the RZ350 (that you now own) from.  You can ask him about that.

Aloha808

Quote from: rodneya on April 16, 2023, 08:29:39 PM
How easy is it to move a bike, or a car between Islands over there?
It's not to difficult.  I have never had to move a bike from one Island to the next.  However, a former colleague from Maui used to send his Harley back for summer  vacation.  He would drop it off at Honolulu harbor and it would be shipped to (I believe) Kahului harbor for pick up. 

Quote from: Hawaii-Mike on April 18, 2023, 10:37:21 PM
Russ that might be the same guy I bought the RZ350 (that you now own) from.  You can ask him about that.
I will.