Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

!977 KZ650

Started by RustyRD, April 15, 2023, 06:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

I was presented with a new project eleven months ago, and it has pulled time away from my RD projects. I could not say no to it. A friend offered it up at a price that I could not say no to. The bike was destined to be altered to become an adventure bike, and I wanted to keep it a budget friendly bike that will be used as a errand runner and one that I won't mind if it gets wet.

RustyRD

first thing was to get rid the old ratty paint to get a freshen up underway.

RustyRD

the next item was to replace the factory exhaust. crusty and dented the choice was easy. Delkivic was inexpensive and available, I was pleasantly surprised with overall quality and fit. the weight of the new pipe was substantially lighter than stock.

RustyRD

The seat was showing its age and I found a cover for 50$ so I thought I would try it out.

m in sc

RustyRD

fuel valve needed replacing, so Pingel was the choice.

RustyRD

I have put 175 miles on it shaking it down and it's time for new rear shocks. I ordered progressive 412 for it and installed them last night. waiting for the rain to give me a break for a ride.

RustyRD

Kawtriplefreak

RustyRD

Thanks.  went for a 40 mile ride , nice change over the old tired stock shocks :whistle: I do need to increases preload on springs , but very controlled action.

m in sc

solid choice for that bike. how you liking it so far overall?

RustyRD

Loving it, I own a Z1-R and almost never ride it now for fear of an accident. The 650 is so familiar after having so much time on my z1-r. Kinda want to do the emulator upgrade on forks now. Doing a dual disc swap on the front end now

RustyRD

upgraded the ignition for reliability and giving it a period correct looking set of plug wires. gave it a fresh set of plugs also.

RustyRD

coils and wires fit as expected, and the ride afterward was rewarding with improved response and idle.

RustyRD

I decided that the front brake was going to be upgraded from single disc to dual disc. I have most of the items on hand , so why not. moved calipers from the front of the forks to the rear. I weighed the rotors for grins and giggles. lots of cleaning still to do. I have located a front fender that will not require the lower stays and is slightly smaller than the original.