(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Fiberglass front fender options for RD 350 AC

Started by IR8D8R, April 18, 2023, 01:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

Lambchopz

Quote from: m in sc on June 05, 2023, 10:51:26 AMwell isnt that nifty!  :olaf:

Thank you.  :-) Know it's not fiberglass like the post states. Perhaps it will be helpful for anyone looking to do the same rim/tire size combo though.  

IR8D8R

Lambchopz,
 You are absolutely welcome. And now you've saved me from making the same error with the Airtech fender. That brushed fender you've got is really slick. It would almost be a shame to paint it. It would go well with the natural metal look M in SC has on his lightweight bike's tank. I've had to retrieve my tank from a body shop that decided never to get around to painting it. Options still open. Why does that happen with motorcycle tanks so often?
  I know Sakis' fender will fit with that brace because Paul1478 has one on his 400 with a 100/90, although it isn't with a 100/90 tire on a 2.15 rim (yet)... I could go back to a 90/90 tire.

For me the fender project moves back a notch for the installation of a blue-spot front brake caliper (Thanks Evans!). Now I have to get an adapter made using Mark's generously shared design. Which is a different subject.

IR8D8R

oxford

Quote from: IR8D8R on June 05, 2023, 12:47:31 PMI've had to retrieve my tank from a body shop that decided never to get around to painting it. Options still open. Why does that happen with motorcycle tanks so often?

Part of the reason my bike is still sitting in primer. I don't want this to happen and don't really know what shop to take it to so it doesn't.  :sad:

This thread also reminds me I need to do something about a fork brace.  That RSW brace might work.  How well do the dust boots fit with it?  I at least see them on the bike in the pics.

m in sc

if i didnt have the handmade TI fender on my bike i would def go that way.

Lambchopz

Quote from: IR8D8R on June 05, 2023, 12:47:31 PMLambchopz,
 You are absolutely welcome. And now you've saved me from making the same error with the Airtech fender. That brushed fender you've got is really slick. It would almost be a shame to paint it. It would go well with the natural metal look M in SC has on his lightweight bike's tank. I've had to retrieve my tank from a body shop that decided never to get around to painting it. Options still open. Why does that happen with motorcycle tanks so often?
  I know Sakis' fender will fit with that brace because Paul1478 has one on his 400 with a 100/90, although it isn't with a 100/90 tire on a 2.15 rim (yet)... I could go back to a 90/90 tire.

For me the fender project moves back a notch for the installation of a blue-spot front brake caliper (Thanks Evans!). Now I have to get an adapter made using Mark's generously shared design. Which is a different subject.

IR8D8R

You, Mark, and Evans have helped me immensely throughout this. Really can't express my gratitude enough.

The bike has Evans blue dot caliper on it. As well as Marks beautifully designed adapter. Again, many thanks to you both.

Marks adapter,  with the blue dot caliper, seems to clear. Just barely though. The spokes get a bit close. Can get you exact measurements for the spacers I used on the caliper, as well as the material thickness for the disc brake adapter and caliper tomorrow if you need it.

Happy to help in any way I can.

lawnboy

This thread also reminds me I need to do something about a fork brace.  That RSW brace might work.  How well do the dust boots fit with it?  I at least see them on the bike in the pics.
[/quote]

I mounted my RSW brace like this, No modifications to the boot but I had to shim the brace to get a good fit on the fork tubes. Hope that helps.RSW fork brace.jpg

Lambchopz

Quote from: oxford on June 05, 2023, 01:05:33 PM
Quote from: IR8D8R on June 05, 2023, 12:47:31 PMI've had to retrieve my tank from a body shop that decided never to get around to painting it. Options still open. Why does that happen with motorcycle tanks so often?

Part of the reason my bike is still sitting in primer. I don't want this to happen and don't really know what shop to take it to so it doesn't.  :sad:

Cut the dust boots and they seem to fit fine. Will safety wire them though if it turns out to be an issue.
The RSW brace is a tight fight. Forks have been Cerakoted though so I don't know if that has something to do with the tight fit

pdxjim

My paint guy James here in Oregon knows and loves RD's and other 2T's, is inexpensive, relatively quick, and 100% reliable:  https://nocamresto.com/

... also, I've got a new (mounted but not ridden) RSW brace to fit RD350 forks, I'll sell for $100 shipped.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

scully

IR8D8R

I just pushed my dust boots down against the brace. They no longer have the notch to index but they don't come loose. Looks normal.

IR8D8R