Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

r5 vs. rd350

Started by kramdua, April 19, 2023, 04:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kramdua

i really don't know. i have only ridden reed valve rd's or a 1967 yr1. how does the r5 stand up to the rd. there are a lot of big fans of the pre reed valve so they must run pretty good.
thanks,
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

Striker1423

Mark will have a good answer, but apparently they make gobs of torque, just are a bit slower on the top end.

soonerbillz

I can't answer to the rd vs r5 question.  But I will say the r5 seems to be rising in popularity.  At least it seems more folks are building them.

m in sc

Ive owned quite a few of both, and have always liked the r5s, but yes, they are different power wise. IMHO, they are a better power delivery bike midrange, more predicatble, def not faster.  even with chambers, cdis, etc. Handling/ergonomics/etc is of course the same so its no difference there except drum vs disc, and thats easily remedied.

My 72 has a disc front brake, and an rd6 speed, chambers, but has stock r5 cyls, a programmable cdi, rearsets, etc.  stock carbs as well & a y boot. its a really good rider and yes, the topend is stronger than my dead nuts stock 70 (aside from also having a vape cdi, but static).

as far as 'stand up to' an rd? beats me what you are measuring it by. I really think a lot of why r5s sort of dropped off for a long time was.. no one could get pistons, rds were still relatively cheap, and r5s with rd cyls were sort of a best of both worlds to a lot of people.

i wouldnt say they had 'gobs of torque' but they dont have the power dropoff before the powerband hit the rds do, stock to stock, they are much more 'linear' power wise and dont have that huge hit (which is actually a dip then hit, look at a few dyno charts and you'll see it) on an rd, stock to stock. they also dotn make as much power up top for obvious reasons.

My 70 r5 actually has rd350 baffles in it, and it def runs a bit better than the stockers but not notable enough to say 'thats the trick!'.  I ride mine pretty regular, and have hit 95  on both of them, and they are screaming, but can ride easily at 70+ all day no problems. as a rider for some curvy roads def a good option.

as a side note, the ds7 i have, also dead stock (aside from a dyna ignition) its really fun but its def slower than an r5, and much less spunky compared to an rd350, but its fun to ride all day long and is quite capable, more so than one might think. again, can be ridden at 70 all day.

:twocents:

as a side note, im bringing the 72 R5 and the DS7 to the meltdown and hanging for-sale signs on them both. neither will go 'cheap' if they sell at all, and I don't care if they sell, but they are also both well sorted. I just have so many bike si need to trim down a bit, but its not out of lack of liking them, but i have 3 and the 70 isn't going anywhere.   :burnout:

AAAltered

Regarding pistons, I got my R5 in 2007 and finding pistons and rings back then was a big chore.
Along came and HVC and Wossner with options.  Seems like after that, hoarders began making NOS Yamaha pistons sets "available" at reasonable prices.

I happen to have HVC's +.75 repops in mine since the last rebuild and have >3000 miles on them (knock wood).  I also put a six speed trans in at that time but continue to enjoy the piston port motor.

Ed
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

yeah there's multiple suppliers now, which is good. i remember begging wiseco to run a set of rd/banshee pistons w no windows, they were not willing to play ball which was ridiculous since all the had to do was NOT cut the windows.

kramdua

thanks for the huge amount of info. i find it amazing the pistons were hard to find. i have had a lot of different brand and model 2 strokes. if you don't have something to compare them to such as with or without reed valves you don't know the difference in power delivery. even so it seems the r5's biggest complaint is the front drum brake. even though i haven't ridden an r5 i am sure if you have enough strength in your grip it will stop just fine.
i know someone with an r5 that's been in the garage for 15 years. i've been telling him for years to let him know if he sells i get first crack at it. in a conversation this week it sounds like he may be ready to sell. we'll see.
thanks,
mark
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

dgorms

Performance aside, I think the R-5, DS-7 are the best looking bikes Yamaha ever made!   :twocents:
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

kramdua

they were really the first really great looking 350's. i had a 67 350 and everyone hated it. to me it was an awesome looking motorcycle.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

AAAltered

Regarding front drum brakes, I also had an older front drum Enfield when I got my R5, so was already trained in braking anticipation.

On the R5, a new set of shoes and proper setup ( you can have them professionally done but I haven't) and they work pretty good, again braking anticipation is key.

When bits are polished and rechromed, it sure looks koool...

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special