Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

New fenders for the 3 bike trailer

Started by Kawtriplefreak, May 02, 2023, 04:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

After the RH steel fender departed the aircraft uncommanded in the last 20 miles of the return trip from the Gap last year I ordered a new set of ABS fenders from etrailer.com and as usual never got around to installing them. Now the Gap is 4 days away so here we go. I bought 4 lengths of 5/8 threaded rod and all the nuts, washers and attaching hardware from Lowes.
I also bought some 1/2 and 5/8 drill bits to drill through the frame. Luckily the only damage when it flew off due to a failed weld was two very small punctures to the seat cover on the Gray Ghost RZ. It could have been so much worse. I drilled the pilot holes with the 1/2 inch bit and followed up with the 5/8. Then put a nut and a flat and lock washer on each side of the frame and adjusted the width to 2.5 inches from the frame to the inner fender which centers it on the tire. The top of the fender worked out to be 3 inches from the top of the tire, up 1/2 inch from the steel fender as it looked too close to me with 3 bikes loaded last year. I also put a double nut on the end of the threaded rods to prevent the fender from migrating outward as I am using u-bolts to attach the fender to the threaded rods.
I  also bought self locking nuts for the u-bolts to eliminate any chance of them backing off. The fenders say you can step on them but I don't plan to. They are very light. I used the bottom bracket for the u-bolts to pick up the holes I drilled in the fenders. Tomorrow I will cut the remaining steel fender off of the other side and repeat the process.

m in sc

that will definitely work.

you need a 'not a step' decal for them, because you KNOW somebody will step on them.   :taz:

Kawtriplefreak

I have to go to Auto Zone for brake pads for the GMC in the morning and will stop at the hardware store on my way to get some no step placards.