Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

new xr150l

Started by m in sc, July 02, 2023, 07:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

super basic run around, but fun. this is my new 'rain' bike. picked it up yesterday. very fun and cheap, like 3670 new OTD all paperwork tags etc. 15 of that was a tank bag i'll use one something else.

couldn't even feel it on the bike rail. and its a carbureted 2023 model.  :toot:

does pretty well 2 up too.

pidjones

Very interesting, but I fear it would put me in the ER.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

m in sc

Kawtriplefreak

msr

VERY much looking forward to meeting this one in person!

SoCal250

Looks like fun! Congrats on the new stablemate.  :cheers:

How long before this one gets modified?  3...2...1... :dawg:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

Quote from: SoCal250 on July 02, 2023, 09:51:39 PMLooks like fun! Congrats on the new stablemate.  :cheers:

How long before this one gets modified?  3...2...1... :dawg:
before i rode it actually.  :whistle:

RustyRD

A great errand runner sweeeet

m in sc

it is. I'll be honest,in some ways its redundant to my trail 125. ironically, the trail is a shit off road bike (considering its name). this one is actually pretty good. the big selling point was its a full sized bike. and, it does 2 up pretty damn well considering. on trips, to me, this has value if we haul one to buzz around on. I put about 100 miles on it this weekend no complaints really. I mean, for the cost, its great

RustyRD

So what was the mod before you rode it ?

m in sc

spark arrestor had to go, was ridiculous. also took carb off, removed the pilot screw plug so it could be adjusted/cleaned down the road. and added a us charge port up front and a battery tender sae plug out back directly tot he battery for charging

RustyRD

Sensible useful mods.  :like:  :like:

m in sc

and now for some some bafoonery. the carburetor on these is and odd one, it has an oval venturi roughtly 22w x 27h. the idea behind it is to keep velocity up at low rpms, which it does, but the rest sort of suffers. so, in the quest for more midrange power, a common mod for these from the adv rider thread and others ive seen is to fit a 'nibbi' round slide. this is a popular choice for small bore 4t stuff i guess (?)  There's one guy in Australia that does a bunch of testing that runs these on hsi modified cubs, etc. so  figured id try one. its a weird combination of a PE keihin with some elements of a pwk thrown in, a blatant rip off of some keihin design work, but they seem to be very well regarded. so, i bought a 26mm round slide version to try out (the intake manifold is 27mm id).  I mean, it was 50 bucks shipped. the brass does swap with genuine kein stuff as well, too.

the one thing i didn't want to do is make it 1: non reversible and 2: utilize the stock airbox.

the one main issue was the diameter of the bellmouth to fit the stock intake runner fromt he airbox. 49mm vs 39mm.

but, i have a lathe so made a fixture and gently turned down the bellmouth as much as i could w out interfering functionally w the airjet holes. i got it down to about 40.5mm which is good enough to get the stock airbox runner over.  In the pics you see it right off the lathe, i took it apart and cleaned out the swarf before installing.

jetting was dropped down to 110 from the 118 it came with. the air jet is very 2-stroke style with it being not on the fuel, but the bell mouth side to control the air. It uses pwk style pilots but round shork keihin mains.  needle stayed in middle and the cable fit the stock throttle.

it bolted right up and TBH, was much better at midrange and topend, bottom end didn't suffer, but the stock carb has the off idle transition diaphragm. this does not. neither has an accelerator pump. This also means that if you are at idle and just go wfo on the throttle, it will stall, but anything beyond that and it takes off nicely and very smooth. 

I swapped back and forth between this and the stock carb a few times back to back test it over a few days, and the aftermarket is going to stay on I think. Both yield a top speed of about 57-60 flatland, but the aftermarket one holds speed batter in 5th and def gets there quicker.

I also capped off the PAIR (air injection) setup and the huge evap can debacle. theres really no need for all that shit on this.  :toot:  :devil:

you can see here how much i took off the bellmouth:

from the 'back' side note the enrichener vs actual choke the stock carb had.

mounted with stock airboox boot and clamp in place.

and then there all this bullshit, just for the evap can. for a 150 4 stroke.  :eek:

all the stock stuff is saved as well. *just in case* 

Kawtriplefreak

RustyRD

So is the nibbi a copy of Keihin carb?