Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

A new acquisition ..

Started by soonerbillz, July 06, 2023, 07:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

Quote from: m in sc on August 09, 2023, 11:17:55 AMsomebody tried talking me into doing the 3mm overbore when i had mine, i didn't see the need and didn't want the liners that thin.
The woman (who already rode) that bought it from me took some bad advice and overfilled it on oil on a ride, and killed the motor eventually. her bf at the time reached out to me asked if HE should do the big bore, i told him no to. being cheap but also not listening to my advice, he took it to a cut rate shop, and they tried to do it anyway, and then he destroyed the cylinder in the process, cracked the liner trying to bore it too much on one pass. then, they bought another motor out of a 76, swapped it, then realized that the 2nd gear int he  donor motor was hit, and then had to put THAT  set of cyls onto the original bottom end that i had.

mind you, i re-rung the top-end when i had the bike and it was perfect mechanically when sold, and pretty damn good cosmetically.

she still has the bike, it has head gasket leak issues. One day she'll fix it and i offered to help. its been 8? 9? years. who knows.  IMHO the dyna is there for reliability, was never a performance gain i was looking for. same reason i put the dyna on the YL1. always going to be slow, but at least it will be consistent.

Thanks for the insights.

soonerbillz

Quote from: irk_miller on August 11, 2023, 05:34:48 AMMake sure the advancer is .530" or .590".  Honda started putting the CB750 advancers in them, so you have to get a CB750 ignition for the .590" shaft. That usually covers 75-77's. In addition to Dyna, 4-into-1 now sells their own kit.  There's also the Charlie's place kit, which I just installed on a CB360.

Thank you !

soonerbillz

Since I posted last I have done a complete teardown of this bike.
Turned out they lied. Bike was modified to someone's personal like.
The seat foam and cover was not original. They used the factory pan but installed a custom foam and cover.Then they put the aftermarket rack and back rest.
I've been told that Honda made 2 different versions of handle bars, a flat one for the European market and the high one like mine for the North American market. I wonder why.
I had no clue but the exhaust that spent so much time cleaning and derusting turns out to be an unknown brand aftermarket part.
The story I was told about how they cleaned the carbs was total bullshit. When I tore them down I found they had never been apart and were in terrible condition. I had to order a lot of parts to get them back in good condition. 
Luckily though nobody messed with the electrics. All the wiring is in good, clean condition.  The bike did have new tires on it but somebody was smoking something at that point.
So turns out they installed front directional oriented tires both on the front ant back wheels. To make it even funnier the installed the front tire backwards!
All that said I'm now done with cleaning and repairing all the issues, I've install new modern street tires and finished rebuilding the carbs. Now it reassembly time.
I hope to be done in a couple weeks.

m in sc

soonerbillz

A little more getting done on it.
Really hope to finish and ride it this weekend.

Karl squire

I love those 350 and 400Fours, nice bike, you have a good friend.

soonerbillz

I have made some good forward progress on this bike..
Really hoping to get some great fall weather riding in on it.

RustyRD

Looking good I always thought the swept header looked great.

soonerbillz

Kawtriplefreak

kramdua

8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.