Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rear wheel nut questions.

Started by LMS, July 08, 2023, 07:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMS

After my initial run, the chain was pretty loose after. Adjusted chain, but not sure what I should torque the nuts to. There are two, one I think is called the sprocket nut, its the big ass nut closest to the frame. I barely had to loosen that one. Then there is one on the outside (spindle nut) which has the cotter pin.
Thx
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

TPR5

The big nut is to holds the dampener, get it tight.  The outside is the axel nut, needs to be tight, and use a cotter pin. the wheel should feel Ferm in place, and spin freely. Before you tighten these you need to adjust the chain from each Side use the marks near each end of the axel to aline evenly with the adjusters. The chain should have some play up and down like a half inch or so, too much tension will put wear on your front sprocket seal...If needed u tube probably has a video to help ya ..

LMS

So, it's not necessarily a specific torque setting, it's based on how the wheel spins, etc. I found a torque setting for the spindle, 86-120. Interesting.
I have one of those motion pro chain alignment gizmos, works pretty well.
Thx.

rded

I have never seen a torque spec for the inner nut. I estimate I tighten to 50 ft lbs or so. The axel nut does have that higher torque spec. As long as you get them tight not snug.

LMS

1976RD400C

The manual does show the axle nut (the one with cotter pin) at 87-130 foot pounds.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

LMS

Found somewhat the same numbers online, it was the nut under that had me guessing. I'm not sure how one can get 130 lbs of torque on the spindle nut. I'm sure is possible, but after my torque wrench read 96, that was plenty tight.