This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD400 Seat Compatibility

Started by msr, July 26, 2023, 05:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msr

Hi Friends,

I've been working on resurrecting a '78 RD400E for the past few years and am trying to get a decent seat sorted out for it. When I bought it, there was a seat on it which I will call 'The Abomination' and a second seat and cowl for a Daytona. Both of them will fit on the bike with the fender and taillight I have on it. I've been looking at something relatively tame like this:

https://texavina.com/yamaha-rd400-c-d-1975-1977-classic-style-motorcycle-seat-saddle-sku-t9076/

... but ... that's spec'd only for 400C and D. I looked up this thread which gave me pause there:

https://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=82.0

The weird thing is, I believe The Abomination seat has a C or D pan in it. So that all has me wondering what the incompatibility is between the older seats and the later model bikes. I've attached a couple of pictures showing the Daytona seat mocked up as well as The Abomination. Would any of you RD400 experts weigh in on what my options here are?

Thanks,
Matt

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

The Red Scourge

Quote from: 85RZwade on September 02, 2023, 11:25:07 AMRock the Abomination  :lol:

I think I would too lol.

I was under the impression that basically everything on the RD400 C, D, and E were interchangeable.  There were a lot of changes to the Daytona though.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

m in sc

I can confirm the taxavina seat for the c,d,e does fit matts bike w zero issues.

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

Tim i'm sure Matt would be willing to send it up so the abomination can adorn the 75. I have your address saved in the ups computer so, no problem, really.   :toot:  :gentleman:

:saywhen:

Kawtriplefreak

msr

The pan on The Abomination is so rusted it's not really usable. Otherwise it'd definitely show up at your house, Tim!

I'm really happy with the Texavina seat. The pins were a little tough to align but I think that's the hardware I swapped over and not the seat itself.

Kawtriplefreak