(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Spec 2 chambers Gray Ghost

Started by Kawtriplefreak, August 16, 2023, 04:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

Big brown goodie truck came yesterday with a box from Evans Ward  :ups:

Kawtriplefreak

Shot some of Walmarts best 1200 degree BBQ paint on the flanges. Thanks to Evans Ward for cleaning them up and for the beautiful pipes! :patriot:  :patriot:

Kawtriplefreak

Toomeys and flanges removed. Spec2s unpacked and ready. I will be able to reuse the flange gaskets as they are undamaged. I have new flange and cylinder gaskets from Yambits.

Kawtriplefreak

I was hoping for the lazy way out being able to install the Spec2s without having to swap the flanges but the Spec2 pipes are considerably larger in diameter everywhere and don't even come close to sliding into the DG flanges (the Toomeys slid right into them). Tomorrow if time permits before work I will finish the install.

teazer

Those look familiar.  Nice pipes.

Kawtriplefreak

Kawtriplefreak

A successful afternoon. Pipes went on without a hitch. They fit perfectly. Chamber condoms work excellent. I need to trim the high temp  silicone sealer a bit. Chinese radiator removed. Yamaha factory radiator installed courtesy of Evans Ward :patriot:  :patriot:
Filled coolant system and ran it up with my auxiliary fuel tank connected. No leaks noted. Buttoned everything up and took a test ride. I am very happy with the Spec2s. M in SC told me that they would outperform all the others on my ported motor and he was right :righteous:  :righteous: I am also pleased to report the heating issues appear to be resolved with the replacement radiator. It was in the 90s here and I flogged it pretty hard for 20 miles. Temperature never went above 185 while moving. I had to turn on the fan in stop and go traffic. I will know for sure when I take it out on the interstate.But I think it is fixed.

2 Smoker

Spec II pipes are one of the great pipes of the two stroke era.

Kawtriplefreak

2 Smoker

Mine arrived with coconut water packing  :guinness:

STLMike

That bike and those pipes look great.

I recently purchased a used RD350 with some OG Spec 2's. I'm going deep into the rabbit hole.
I have them fully disassembled, plugged at both ends with something I've concocted to break down some buildup. Going to repack, media blast,paint and polish.

85RZwade

What's your recipe? I've always wondered what to use; where does one buy "caustic soda", as advised by one of the books on my shelf?
I post waayyy too much

2 Smoker

Quote from: STLMike on August 24, 2023, 12:12:22 AMThat bike and those pipes look great.

I recently purchased a used RD350 with some OG Spec 2's. I'm going deep into the rabbit hole.
I have them fully disassembled, plugged at both ends with something I've concocted to break down some buildup. Going to repack, media blast,paint and polish.

STLMike

Quote from: 85RZwade on August 24, 2023, 01:31:42 PMWhat's your recipe? I've always wondered what to use; where does one buy "caustic soda", as advised by one of the books on my shelf?
I use 1 can of brake clean and 1 gallon of kerosene in each pipe, along with some small nuts and bolts that I have laying around, Plug it up at each end and let it sit for a couple days shaking it frequently. The small parts I soak in an ultrasonic cleaner with degreaser.
20230825-224844" border="0

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much