Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Things to Do when Selling a Bike

Started by Milan, August 23, 2023, 02:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

This has probably come up in some other posts.

But when selling a bike, that is in pretty good condition:
Do you go all out purchasing some of the few items that are missing, or rashed up?

In my instance, a bike I am going to sell, is missing the Hi / Low Horns.
The grab rail has rash on it.  some of the rubber grommets are hard.
The seat cover is good, but had foam shaved off of it for a lady rider ( to allow her feet to touch the ground easier )
A few other small things as well.

Or do you just sell As-Is and let the new owner take care if it.

I guess, depending on the degree of what's needed, the price could be affected.
But where do you stop?

M

STLMike

Personally, I would repair anything safety related. Also replace anything inexpensive and let the new owner decide if they want to put additional money into it.

If the bike is near perfect, I'd put additional money into it to command top dollar.

Milan

pdxjim

I suggest doing whatever you feel is right, and fits your budget prepping the bike for sale. 

A little prep time, and parts expense goes a LONG WAY when making the bike presentable for sale.  Some buyers are OK with a project, but those willing to pay top dollar, likely want a vehicle in pristine turnkey condition, ready to ride or display. Stock will always draw a higher sale price than modified.

That said, IMHO, the most important part of the sale is the presentation.

Photos are KEY.  Take the best photos you can, and take a lot of them.  Like 100+ pics of every part and angle you can.  If anything looks bad in the pics, go back and fix it, and do another photoshoot after.  Uncluttered background, good lighting, and sharp focus.  Bump up the color saturation and contrast for a little more pop.

Description is KEY.  You want a buyer to fall in love with your bike. Be forthcoming about the defects and shortcomings, but sell the shit out of everything good.  Mention any and all positive attributes the bike has. Mention new parts, great condition original parts, anything and everything that might seal the deal.

There is no excuse for lame pics and a boring description.  You are only cheating yourself.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Yup, what Jim said. I think the level of perfection for which you strive determines your target market, and perhaps how quickly you get a sale. I fix and sell lawnmowers, and I've seen that (generally) less expensive and cosmetically challenged equipment sells faster. I often have to wait to find my buyer for really nice, higher priced pieces.  :twocents:
I post waayyy too much

Milan

So I cleaned the bike up prior

I got a list of needed parts:
Horns
Windscreen
Grommets
Seat Cushion
Grab Rail
Rear Pegs

I started thinking, the bike looks good now.
If I put all those parts on, I should just keep it for a future Rainy Day.

I have seen other on the forum contemplate this same thing when selling.
And now I know their feeling

pidjones

This is the hazard of fixing up to sell - then you want to keep. I ran into this with a boat. After sanding, buffing, polishing, etc. it looked great! But, it had not been in the water for three years, so it was sold.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Milan

You just gave me a great idea .

Honey, I'm buying another bike.
Dint worry,
I'm just going to fix it up, then sell it to make a little $$.

Striker1423

I like that bike though... Whatcha want for it? lol

Milan

Trying to get $12K for it.

Its up on FB, but getting the usual 20 msg's of Is It Available.

About 5 serious folks tho