Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Instant gasket recommendation

Started by Aloha808, September 29, 2023, 01:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aloha808

Any recommendations on a good Hi temp RTV silicone instant gasket?

I will be using it in place of the stock head gasket for my rz350.

Thanks

pdxjim

Permatex orange sealed great on my O-ring LC head.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

IR8D8R

Any of the Permatex Ultra series. They are not cured with acetic acid (a reaction with water), so they don't stink like vinegar. The Ultra Grey one doesn't look so bad against aluminum as the blue or orange. They are some kind of modified silicone with a little more resilience than plain RTV. They also adhere better and won't separate from the surfaces with oil.

IR8D8R

m in sc

permatex motoseal. (imho).

id consider at least a small copper gasket though, theres places that will cut them any thickness you want.  ran them on my lc until i machined the head. https://coppergaskets.us/

Aloha808

Thanks gentlemen!

Quote from: pdxjim on September 29, 2023, 01:49:23 PMPermatex orange sealed great on my O-ring LC head.
This is a o-ringed head too.  Based on what I have read about your LC, it was the same guy who worked on my rz motor.

pdxjim

Quote from: Aloha808 on September 29, 2023, 06:14:05 PMThanks gentlemen!

Quote from: pdxjim on September 29, 2023, 01:49:23 PMPermatex orange sealed great on my O-ring LC head.
This is a o-ringed head too.  Based on what I have read about your LC, it was the same guy who worked on my rz motor.

Garrett, EE and ChuckQ were all involved.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

ah, o ringed head, didn't know.   :gentleman:

pdxjim

Grey MotoSeal would work well too. It's not a high pressure joint, and you're just keeping the water in, so oil resistance isn't a big deal either.

85RZwade

We use Loctite 515 anerobic sealant a lot at my work. Would it be appropriate in this application?
I post waayyy too much

Aloha808

Quote from: m in sc on September 30, 2023, 11:21:10 AMah, o ringed head, didn't know.   :gentleman:
Sorry, my mistake. I didn't provide enough info.

@pdxjim -Garret did the work on the rz motor

achemen

Aloha808

I picked up Permatex Motoseal gasket maker-grey.

Does anyone have any tips using this?

The directions say to apply a continuous bead of Motoseal to both surfaces.  Then to smooth material with small brush and allow to set 1 minute before assembly.

I'm wondering how thin I should smooth out the Motoseal?  I'm guessing to much is better then not enough.

It is for an rz o-ringed head.

Thanks

m in sc

treat it like yamabond 4 it needs very little to work.

pdxjim

I dab it on using the tip of the tube, then smear it very thin with a gloved finger.

It's way too viscous to use an acid brush, so a fingertip works well. 

m in sc

Quote from: pdxjim on October 09, 2023, 10:39:01 AMI dab it on using the tip of the tube, then smear it very thin with a gloved finger.

It's way too viscous to use an acid brush, so a fingertip works well. 

i never had luck with a brush w the yb4, (even though the directions said to) always used a finger as well.   :twocents: