Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Kawasaki H1 mach III

Started by lowandslow, October 23, 2023, 09:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowandslow

Was watching an auction and almost bid for a triple. I know nothing about triples. Are they as good as the RDs(know that they are way faster), good investment? easy to work with, reliable?
It sold for less than $4000(1972 model) and I see one on ebay for $7k bike  is not running, had a title and "good compression" according to the auction  :rolleyes:

m in sc

IMHO no, i got rid of all my triples ive had over the years, rds are IMHO just better bikes for the most part to live with.

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

teazer

Triples FTW every time.  Except when I'm riding my RZ that is. 

Nothing wrong with a Suzuki or Kawasaki triple.  Well that's not 100% accurate.  I could make a long list of things that could have been improved, but let's not go there.

Twins are just a whole lot less complicated and 2/3rds the cost or less to repair, rebuild or maintain. For street riding, my favorite is my RZ350. It is infinitely (ok so a touch of hyperbole there) better an any air cooled twin I have owned or ridden.  Not as quick or exciting as a TZ but for teh street they are great.

Air cooled kawaskai triples had an evil reputation when they were introduced and that's because the rest of us were riding 30-40hp Brit bike at the time.  All that power wasn't natural and it was too much for mere humans to have to deal with. Now we think that 150-200hp street bikes are fine for learners. If you want a sweet triple try say a KH400 or S2 (350), all the sweetness and none of the nastiness

Hawaii-Mike

RD's are better bikes but I love my Kawasaki triples. Kawasaki triple riders refer to RD's as "girlie bikes".

BlueR32

I'm a Yamaha guy 100% but I have the good fortune to have a brother who is a Kawi Triple fanatic so I get to ride his bikes with none of the "housekeeping". He has a 1972 H2 and a KH400 resto-mod. The 400 is by far my favorite. On the plus side there is nothing quite like the sound of those triples on the gas.

lowandslow

Thanks to all for chiming in. So is $3900 a good deal? The reason I didn't pull the trigger is because I don't anything about it and would have if I could have someone inspect it.

Kawtriplefreak

I love my RD, both my RZs and my H2 powered KH500 Triple for different reasons. They all do some things very well but my Triple the Phoenix Project will carry the front wheel at 70 on the 2-3 shift (ask M in SC). None of my girly bike twins will do that. But it isn't stock either.
 As far as H1B 72 model goes it is the only 500 sold in the states that has points ignition. 3900 in good shape is a decent price.

m in sc

they can be made fast and yes, i did do that on tims bike. Ive had some really, really good triples but they are very muscle-car ish. They dont do much else well except go fast for what they are and impress middle aged and old guys. BUT, i can say, the S2 i had was hands down he best sounding 2-stroke (with dencos) i ever owned. that howl at 7K plus was amazing.

Striker1423

I love my RD for around town hooning and ripping light-to-light and I love my GT750 for going any sort of distance/freeway riding.

The next bike will be an RZ if I can get one. (Dennis?) :)

pdxjim

I've owned a few Kawasaki triples thru the years, and IMHO, everything is better about Yamaha twins (RD/RZ/TZR/TDR/etc) except the exhaust note.

Also, IMHO, the '72 H1 parts bin special is about the least desirable one of 'em all.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

well, unless its dead bone original.

Kawtriplefreak

RustyRD

I have like many of you have owned kawi 500 triple and 750. Rd350 and RZ350, I owned two RZ's one purchased new in 1984 and one bought used in 1986, the RZ was my all time favorite out of the group. I liked the handling and performance it had a more refined feel than the others. The triples all have such a wonderful sound when thy are on the pipe. The new RZ had minor mods like Boysen two stage reeds and Factory pipe products chambers. I would like to find another RZ but not at just any expense.