Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

An automotive mileage 1st for me!

Started by Evans Ward, November 05, 2023, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evans Ward

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD bought new and has its original 4.0 inline 6 that has never been rebuilt. This GC has trailered my bikes for many years to Deal's Gap and has been a great, troublefree vehicle.  :thumbs:  Just achieved this a couple of days ago and it is the first time for me with a 300,000 mile vehicle owned.  :clap:  I plan to treat her this winter to whatever new AC components are needed to have it cool like new. Check out the idle oil pressure in the pics taken Friday!

Who else has accumulated 300,000 on a vehicle with the original un-rebuilt engine?
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Kawtriplefreak

BlueR32

Testament to a well-maintained vehicle! Kudos to you  :clap:

m in sc

thats pretty amazing. Original head gasket???

Evans Ward

Yes, original head gasket. Did replace the valve cover seal gasket once though..
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

that's very impressive, even more so, w the head gasket.   :clap:

LMS

I had a 1988 saab spg with a plethora a mods. Never had to remove the head, ran around 18psi of boost. Water injection, bigger turbo and every possible go-fast add-on one could install. I ran the piss out of that car for 15 years, sold it with over 280k. It was not a saab story.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

sav0r

My Saab 9-5 made 300k just barely. I drove it illegally (ignored inspection) just to get it there, the cost to maintain was more than the car was worth at the end. Mostly the rust got to it. Engine never blew or had any major issues, I did the timing chain, chain guides, and head gasket once just as a precaution. Finally the right rear spring failed, additionally the rear brakes were just barely functional and were expensive to replace. I switched the front seats back and fourth every 40k, they were mint. That prevented most of the visible wear you see from people getting in and out. Finally, I took it on a long trip. I stopped at a coworkers place to drop some stuff off on the way home. I got a flat tire there. Tossed the spare on and drove home. I drove it a handful of times after that, but I was tired of limping her around. I sold it to a coworker for a few hundred bucks. The interior was as good as you can get for 20 years of service. The information display worked, but I had to iron it once. My only real regret is that my son when fairly young broke the cup holder which are kind of a gem on those cars. Sadly, I don't know where the car is now. My coworker unfortunately took his own life about a month after buying it.

My VW TDI JSW has 170k and is pristine. Hoping for 300k again. Did a DPF delete with stage 2 ECU flash, new ball joints, full flush, timing belt, new water pump, tensioners, new brakes, new wipers, all in the last 20k or so. The only major issue now is the pesky sunroof that sometimes doesn't drain. Control arms a little clunky but alignment is about as good as you can get from something with rubber bushings. Typical VW stuff.

We have a Dodge Cummins with the 6 speed that we use as a tow vehicle. 360k on that. It's seen a lot of maintenance over the years, including a bed replacement (rust). Several clutches. Every suspension moving joint, replaced probably more than once. If the engine/transmission wasn't so good we'd have ditched it for sure. It appears almost as good as the day it came of the line. Lot's of love on that over the years.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

kpke

Nice Evans. I had a first year 93 GC Laredo. Never had a problem with it other than AC went out. Sold it after 20 years with about 150K on it.

https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Beavis

This is good news for me, I just bought a 97 GC Laredo 4x4 4.0 4 days ago from my neighbor, It has 200k on it and has never towed or even been driven in the dirt! No rust everything works. new tires and registration,,,$400!!! :celebrate:
76, 77, 78 Yamaha RD400
76 Yamaha RD125C
75 Suzuki TS185

Evans Ward

Quote from: Beavis on November 18, 2023, 03:54:58 AMThis is good news for me, I just bought a 97 GC Laredo 4x4 4.0 4 days ago from my neighbor, It has 200k on it and has never towed or even been driven in the dirt! No rust everything works. new tires and registration,,,$400!!! :celebrate:

Good score!  :thumbs: Just make sure you change your engine oil at 5000-6000 mile intervals. Enjoy!  :wave:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750

irk_miller

Nice! I put over 300k on a 99 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8. I sold it to a co worker 4 years ago and his daughter is driving it to this day.