News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

my LC hybrid update project.. hyd clutch update and more...

Started by m in sc, November 06, 2023, 10:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

Quote from: kpke on November 13, 2023, 08:45:06 AMBeautiful work. What is that "extra" big slotted screw thing on the bottom just adjacent to the drain plug?

thanks.  :gentleman:  thats the shift plate detent spring holder.  some are bolts, others, later ones i think, are slotted. this is a very late set of 73 cases and its what was in it. I think they changed it to slotted so it wouldn't be confused for a drain bolt (since they were both 17mm head bolts)

m in sc

lunch project, made a delrin shaft sleeve . the sprocket is 10mm offset so it won't work well w the stock one. this a hair shorter so I can use an o ring on the shaft to keep it from falling off when the covers pulled off. also machined a blanking insert for the clutch cable boss (after work at home while angie was cooking dinner).

Kawtriplefreak

350GUY

irk_miller

Unfortunately, the Japanese were still mastering their casting in the 70s and aluminum was much more porous in their cases then.  As experienced as you are with converting to LCs, you probably have noticed the difference between the 80s castings and 70s castings.  If you really want to keep the case clean and not end up with black pores, you'll probably want to get a can of CRC 3-36 or similar and keep them coated. I agree with a previous post about how terrible vapor honed aluminum looks with a clear coat.  I spray everything I vapor hone with 3-36, unless I plan to anodize, powder or paint. 

m in sc

so, with all the other projects wrapped up, the KZ, the big bore kit on the XR, 72 R5 stuff (pipes) and other small things, back on the LC project. I've been gathering small parts here and there , this also included new silicone hoses, and rethinking the hose routing. this included the angled water neck fitting i made 2? weeks ago at work.

and the hose routing. i wasnt a fan of running the line under the reed-cage, even though its been that way almost 20 yrs, this should def flow a bit easier:

this is all mocking up w the 'original' motor still in place. you can also see a lot of the wiring. you may notice there are individual fuse holders. i -have had- a few fuse boxes int his over the years, but the inline ones seem to work better long term, for me, and theres a junction terminal where they all come off of. (can take diff pics later showing that). its nowhere near as chaotic as it may seem.

then, i had to move onto the intake. I had a shorter yet thicker walled 3-d printed y boot done up and decided to go with a large uni (its probably a -bit- overkill)  :dawg: 

the billet intake worked really well but was so long, I had to make it shorter.this wasnt super easy, as i needed about 3/8" min room to make it fit better.

you can see here how long this was. this was with small body VM34s back in 13 or so:

I had to mill the front plate, to the reeds, down about 5mm, the main body in about 3mm, and the rest i swing the head on the bridgeport and took as much as i could off the rubber spigot mounts.

as it is now:

this is the newer beefier y-boot and uni,

back side of the intake, used the sandring drum on the die grinder to smooth out ans shape inside, matches the reedgages as well. Internal crossover still intact.

closer look, some scarring and useage marks, def not a show bike. 

I also removed the fan, it almost never kicked on, like maybe 2 times ever? it just doesn't run hot. also, the 2 cables laying over the radiator are choke cables, the lever is on the other side, used a snowmobile setup.

and a gratuitous shot of the filter and y boot.

Kawtriplefreak

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Evans Ward

1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

85RZwade

Might you make that Y-boot available to the masses someday?
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

steve burgess sells them. I just designed that one. reach out on FB to him.

m in sc

as a side note, after I drew it up I printed a mini version to verify the geometry was ok, the initial model of this version had a tiny void that was near impossible to see, so this was a test part I did at work, then sent the file to steve.

kpke

Very impressive work. That intake system is beautiful.

What material is used for the 3d printing to make it gasoline proof?
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

m in sc

thanks.  :gentleman: I honestly dont remember, he told me once. I do know, def not in the motor side, but filter side is ok.

as an update: i measure the cyls, it hasn't been rebored in maybe 8-9 yrs. This was a set of cyls scott clough did for me back in.. 07? 08? the skirt clearances were where it needed to be rebored, they looked great but .. worn. so, while i could have had them rebored, i decided to go another way and have my second set i had done by John Ritter bored. I have a bit of intake and decking work to do, but this should be even juicier. especially with the new larger v-force reeds ive had set aside...  :devil:  I have a few other things i want to address anyway, so the time isnt an issue.