Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Did I fry my Dyna?

Started by AAAltered, November 19, 2023, 09:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAAltered

I found my key in the "on" position and the bike with a dead battery.

The battery took a charge, but we have no start.  My Irridiums are now black and oily, but I do see spark.

Awaiting new BR8EIX's in the mail.

Question is can/do Dynas burn out when left powered on?
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

irk_miller

I've never experienced a Dyna ignition burning out when ignition is left on.  What is the charge on the battery after you put it on the tender and what type of battery?  It's possible you fried the battery.  With wet cell batteries you can oxidise them to the point they lose their amps.  With AGM, you can actually seperate the plates when you take the charge all the way down.  In both cases, you can often get most of a charge, but not a complete charge, and/or lose their ability to send enough power to start.  You can test this by putting a meter on the battery while hitting the start button and watch the power completely drop to level incapable of turning the starter.

AAAltered

Hmmm, it's a small sealed "Powersports" battery, I have to take it out to examine exactly what it is.  I just measured it at 12.77 after being off the charger for a few days but will troubleshoot further with my meter later today...
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

it can kill them. maybe you got lucky.

irk_miller

Quote from: m in sc on November 19, 2023, 02:55:35 PMit can kill them. maybe you got lucky.

Dang, well that's good to know.  You can send it to them for testing, right?