Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

dammit. I mean, sweet. (KZ650)

Started by m in sc, November 20, 2023, 01:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

if you're asking me, im one of the people (rare) that hate 'street trackers'. To me its like painting up a GTI in gulf colors and adding rally lights. then commuting in it. Just, no. But that's just MY preference.

Unless its on a legit tracker frame, like a champion, etc, im not a fan of them.. 

85RZwade

I was putting it out there for Blue 32, but I think you're right. Thanks for the mental image of the GTI!
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Does your carb puke fuel out the overflow like mine whenever it sets , like just overnight?   I will be pulling mine next time I go out in the shop.  Been to cold for me lately. 16 degrees last night. 

m in sc

no. 2 things:

i added a manual cutoff on my petcock, i hate vacuum ones. (for that very reason, i  dont trust them , and i rebuilt it)  also, did you set the fuel level by the tube method? if not, do that, they are sensitive carbs on float level. like weirdly so for some reason.

RustyRD

I added a pingel valve to eliminate the vacuum configuration. No I did not use the tube method, I have used this method on my Z1-R , however I cannot find it now. I guess I will have to be creative and fab another one.

m in sc

m6x.75 thread, i used a cable end, cut off, with an o-ring up against an adjuster nut. i set mine dead even w the ;bump in' nine on the carb bowl itself, so 3-5mm below the carb body line. it was changing idle sidestand vs centerstand so i knew the fuel level had to be wrong

m in sc

THIS IS SUPER LONG, BUT I shared it at a relevant point. (around minute 30 or so)

https://youtu.be/3QNG4IrcCcA?feature=shared&t=1851

RustyRD

Thanks for sharing the video, I have seen that before once upon a time . And forgot about it. You are correct about them being sensitive to the adjustment

m in sc

i can say ive never had a bike quite this sensitive to it, its weird.

RustyRD

if I turn on fuel valve on for about 3-4 seconds then shut off, start engine then switch fuel on no flooding on number one carb, however if I switch on fuel and forget to switch off in a few seconds, it will flood. another thorough double check is in order.

m in sc

I just cured a very picky issue regarding floats on mine. #2 was dropping out, at idle, sort of, only on the sidestand.

i had to set the float level, on the side stand, on the bike, w the level meter/tube doohicky. i have M4 stainless allens in the bowls and can remove them with a long 90 degree driver.

what i was noticing was that on the side-stand only, hot or cold, idling, it was dropping temp on the #2 cyl steady the longer it idled, and the rpm would drop 2-300 rpm. anything over 2k was fine. riding was fine. centerstand is fine. But, it was also hard to start cold. it was seeping just into the venturi i think but just not enough to come out the drain tube.

m in sc

been riding the KZ fairly regularly, sorting it out for regular summer use, all good so far. However the gauges have been getting jumpy. allt he cables are new so that def isn't it. so bit the bullet and ordered a set of reproduction ones (for a 900 but are the same) 

feedback says there's -maybe- some issue w the cup retainer bracket on the back, prob needs to be aligned but minor stuff i'm sure. 
anyway, for under 200 bucks shipped, i'll take it. That is one great thing about this bike: a LOT of parts swap over from the 1000 & 900s and they reproduce like everything for those. 

to that point, i also purchased & installed a set of Z1 locks, which included ign, seat and such, now all 3 locks match and are new. (and they key cant be pulled out when it s'on'. ) all direct bolt on & plug & play.

old gauges vs ones coming (ebay)  & lock set (from  https://z1parts.net/ignition-switch-kz900-with-steering-seat-lock-set/

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

you have the word 'sweet' on your clipboard, don't you Timmy?   :dawg:  lol. j/k, thanks

Kawtriplefreak