This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1st post. Daytona questions

Started by This Old Daytona, November 23, 2023, 10:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This Old Daytona

Heya all. HAPPY Thanksgiving.
Kinda long Intro post .. but I'll get the basics out of the way.
Ive read this forum for decades but never joined.

I just bought my old Daytona Special back. From what I understand the motor has been rebuilt, and test started
Motor was built by the late Rob Selvy of ATC/ATC 250r fame.

It has Old DG heads, which he corrected. New seals, parts were checked. And it now is setup with Banshee 26mm carbs.

I'm thinking I might possibly wanna do a front rear swap. I'm open to options...don't want any high dollar setup..curious as to what works for a Daytona and what's involved .

I'd like to do a rear alum swingarm swap, any retrofits out there that are proven to work. It must stay twin shock...I've no interest in mini, I have a RZ for that stuff. I also want this done and rolling in 10 months 😂

Curious if anyone has utilized R3, or KTM RC390 forks,wheels?
I'm looking for take off parts I can swap & machine.
I've done several RZs over the yrs.
  I'd love to splurge $$ but I have FAR too many bikes..so I'm all about (low buck.)
  I'm into this bike as is for 2k, I'm ahead of the game as the motor is rebuilt so Cheaper the better. All cosmetic/ paint ,welding etc.. I can handle. I'll get a machinist to handle what I cant.

So in recap
1.) Any and all front forks,or wheel swaps
2.) Rear alum swinger swaps?
3.) Same rear wheel assemblies swaps?
  If that don't work, I can keep stock wheels..it's no big deal...but I'd like a front fork conversion at the least..don't have to be USD, just something a lil out of the ordinary. Disclaimer..I'm a firm over function guy, when it comes to these old bikes..I'm not racing it, it will only see 20-30 miles country road rides, I live in Yucca Valley.
I might have Scott Clough look at it , if he's interested..to gauge setup and tuning.

I was curious about doing a CBR 900rr 16" forks front rim.
Combined w a 17" rear.. I'm after a particular look and that raked,raised rear look I would enjoy.
However ground clearance might possibly be compromised even though those 16s have a 90 profile?

Anyways..here I am, here you all are..
Whatcha got, What's your ideas that you've done. Any examples one could recommend..?

I'm really all over the map, I could do a fat tire silly cafe cruiser or race replica...or just a hooligan style..
I didn't really care too much about ultimate h.p. .. It runs .that's (ALL) I care about ..besides  cosmetics lol

Bike has:
1.) DG heads
2.) Motor Carrera Millenniums/Toomey replicas.
3.) Clip-ons.
4.) Crappy rearets
5.) FZ brake drilled rotor conversion.
6.) Banshee 26 mm carbs
7.) Reservoir rear shocks.
Perfect tank, but missing 1 side cover.
8.) Some sort of elec ignition ( from Germany). ILL know more once I get it home.
I'm going to need all new hand controls and cables etc. there are no gauges anymore they got thrown away. I don't really care all I wanted to tach..a old Spa or sumpthin.

I sold this about 10 yrs ago, regretted it, now got it back w a rebuilt engine..so I'm happy.
Looking forward to working w some of ya in this

This Old Daytona

BUELLER...BUELLER???? 🫣😄 What..nobody..not a living soul here who's ever done a front/ rear conversion? 🤔 

What U got out there ..lol🤟😄

I'm not a purist..I could care less about that. I'm just looking for options. I can easily keep the stock components...but I'd like to see what some others have done. I'm in my 50s ..life could END any day 😆 just looking to expedite things

m in sc

fork emulators, good springs, an aftermarket swingarm & good shocks are the best options IMHO, unless you are ready to weld and fab a little w some machine work thrown in. bolt in? not lots of good, if any, options.

pdxjim

Forks off a KTM 390 or Ninja 300/400 are probably the cheapest and easiest to find.  R3 if you wanna keep it Yamaha.  KTM is the highest spec of all the little modern bikes.

DG/CalFab (etc) swingarm will be the easiest to install, but they are expensive. I have always wanted to source an XJR400 'arm/complete rear end out of Japan, but haven't done one yet. They can be had for next to nothing.

https://buyee.jp/item/search/query/xjr400%204hm/category/2084019067?translationType=1&suggest=1

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

IR8D8R

Cognito Moto has a lot of billet triple-tree stuff. They do custom work as well. Pretty sure you can find the stem and upper and lower tree pieces to fit an RD 350/400 there, but nothing comes up for Daytona. Aren't they 35mm fork tubes?
 There is an "Any fork to any bike option" It's nice looking but pricey. A little under $1k for the custom tree assembly. Presumably you tell them what forks you want on which bike...

They have billet hubs and wheel conversion parts as well. No idea if they are a good company.

https://cognitomoto.com/collections/fork-conversion-parts.

IR8D8R

rodneya

On my 73 350 I have 07 GSXR forks and Cognito Moto spoked hub on the front, a RD400 disk brake spoked hub on the back and a 421 RZ / Banshee stuffed in there.
Front end just needed the correct bearings for the headstock from Allballs fork conversion website, and steering stops modified. Rear end needed some spacers and I lengthened the swingarm 2" mainly to fit the 130 rear tire.
Been a bit lazy so I have not started work on it, but I am planning on switching to a SV650 swingarm if I can mod it to fit, 17" wheels and maybe a mono shock.

You can make just about anything you want fit. It may not be a good idea to others, but It is your idea.

The keep it completely stock crowd tend to get upset and tell you that your mods wont work, but each to their own.

My bike runs and rides way better than it did stock, but the twin radial front brakes did take a bit of getting used to.

m in sc

I'm all for swapping front ends, im just saying a direct bolt in isnt really an option.   :twocents:

85RZwade

Like Rodney, '06 GSX-R600 forks and clamps just needed bearings from all balls. Even I could do it!
I post waayyy too much

This Old Daytona

Quote from: rodneya on December 01, 2023, 01:41:27 PMOn my 73 350 I have 07 GSXR forks and Cognito Moto spoked hub on the front, a RD400 disk brake spoked hub on the back and a 421 RZ / Banshee stuffed in there.
Front end just needed the correct bearings for the headstock from Allballs fork

The keep it completely stock crowd tend to get upset and tell you that your mods wont work, but each to their own.

My bike runs and rides way better than it did stock, but the twin radial front brakes did take a bit of getting used to.
😂 Lol That's SOooo true. I've run into that other bike projects .
  They don't know what there talking bout. Over the yrs I've converted a couple bikes to 17" radials..a night and day difference. And such a secure feeling.
 It's all good...but "anything CAN BE improved. It's not all about perceived lap times . I'm a way better and faster, confidant rider on my RZ w radials.
  Others results may vary..to each their own. I like it all.👍

This Old Daytona

Quote from: pdxjim on December 01, 2023, 12:03:05 PMForks off a KTM 390 or Ninja 300/400 are probably the cheapest and easiest to find.  R3 if you wanna keep it Yamaha.  KTM is the highest spec of all the little modern bikes.

DG/CalFab (etc) swingarm will be the easiest to install, but they are expensive. I have always wanted to source an XJR400 'arm/complete rear end out of Japan, but haven't done one yet. They can be had for next to nothing.

https://buyee.jp/item/search/query/xjr400%204hm/category/2084019067?translationType=1&suggest=1
Yep, The KTM conversion had crossed my mind, It's the rear matching rim conversion that cramps my brain...as I'd like the KTM rims f & rear...lol.
 The wheels & forks are pretty reasonable...

This Old Daytona

Quote from: IR8D8R on December 01, 2023, 12:47:02 PMCognito Moto has a lot of billet triple-tree stuff. They do custom work as well. Pretty sure you can find the stem and upper and lower tree pieces to fit an RD 350/400 there, but nothing comes up for Daytona. Aren't they 35mm fork tubes?
 There is an "Any fork to any bike option" It's nice looking but pricey. A little under $1k for the custom tree assembly. Presumably you tell them what forks you want on which bike...

They have billet hubs and wheel conversion parts as well. No idea if they are a good company.

https://cognitomoto.com/collections/fork-conversion-parts.

IR8D8R

:thanks..it's appreciated..I'm gonna look at what there is out there. I have a shed full of RZ , VFR,GSXR parts..I have too many bikes 🫣 my ambition outweighs my budget😂

This Old Daytona

This is her .😊🙂
 https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0HQNjJD2iSH8yqkBLMSL3AarLhhYhYGQ5RN3kg9beD9CSz8ZKTGCneHFpAHYWNRGwl&id=100005456681717&mibextid=Nif5oz

Well This RD400 is quite possibly one of the last motors/ Bikes Rob Selvy ever completed.
   I got a video today of him starting the motor, only 3 weeks before he passed from Covid complications ☹️

Dude was such a nice guy..not the usual pretentious know it all..just a genuinely good man, old school roll your sleeves up mechanic/ tuner/ builder.
   My good friend has one if his 72:h.p. ATC 250r rockets..it lays waste to my 421 Banshee..and my Banshees scarry fast for a desert racer, quite frankly too fast...for me
 He also built a 380cc Kawasaki Tecate for my other friend. Stupid fast..guy was a very talented man.

PROOF OF LIFE!!
  It turns out my Daytona does run!! as evidenced from a video I was sent😊
 New info...It has
1.) Straight cut gears.
2 ) Case matched.
3.) Banshee reeds/ Carbs.
4.) Tony's (TDR) reeds.
5.) Custom ultra small rotor HPI
 CDI ignition setup 60 Watt.
6.) DG heads, squish corrected.
7.) Mild port ( clean up) he thinks. But knowing Rob..it might me a mild performance port job.
 So I'm pretty stoked; to say the least.
 I didnt want a high strung motor, so she fits the bill :thumbs:

I'm going to contact the Sign manufacturer, and get a inst manual .. IF ANY ONE HERE HAS THE HPI IGNITION, It would be awesome if ya could post or E- mail n
me the manual :patriot:

I can't seem to post pics here??
 But this mini rotor setup has got to be a honest 2.5-3 lbs lighter than the massive Daytona CDI they ripped out.

So far So good. :olaf:
 I'm gonna have  many questions.

Totally appreciate ALL your responses.

Thank you!
 So much my friends!