Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

What to dfo with your Old Oil

Started by Milan, December 19, 2023, 11:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

What do you do with the used oil from the motorbike, when replacing?

I use mine for the Chain Saw lube bottle system.

Any other uses?

M

AAAltered

I save some for the chainsaw bar and my town has a free oil collection barrel...

Tip: I keep some junk oil in a gear oil bottle.  Very convenient for filling the chain saw reservoir.
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

SoCal250

I take it to the local AutoZone and dump it for recycling. Usually about 5gal at a time.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

svgarage

Quote from: SoCal250 on December 19, 2023, 12:10:54 PMI take it to the local AutoZone and dump it for recycling. Usually about 5gal at a time.
Ditto. Seems like I'm always dumping those containers!
A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint Exupéry

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Kawtriplefreak

My Daddy used this method until the  late 70s...And he had a bunch of trucks and equipment.

1976RD400C

I give it to the local repair garage who uses it in his waste oil furnace for heat.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

85RZwade

:agree: I work in a shop heated by waste oil
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

usually i have my buddy that works at a dealership take it in and dump it.

for the  amount that didn't go there: I can say this much: all it did was make that hateful holly bush next to the garage grow stronger and angrier  :whistle:

Evans Ward

Advance Auto in the recycle container.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

STLMike

Had to cut down about 8 trees a few years ago for a pool. I was too cheap to get the stumps ground out. So, after a lot of drilling holes in stumps my used oil may or may not have been absorbed into said stumps for removal purposes. My neighbors and the HOA love me.

Typically it goes to autozone for recycling.

irk_miller

It can preserve wood and it also makes it water resistant and bug resistant.  You can coat fencing with it.  Acts just like creosote. 

sav0r

Most auto parts stores will take up to 5 gallons per visit. It gets recycled or burnt. It's also usually free. So I store it up and when I hit the auto parts I take in a few gallons. At my shop I have a 55 gallon drum to collect oil, but if I keep on top of it, it's not an issue to keep it managed. Keep in mind some of the cars I deal with hold like 2.5 gallons of oil as they are oil cooled. Thanks Porsche.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

STLMike

Quote from: sav0r on December 23, 2023, 10:15:36 AMMost auto parts stores will take up to 5 gallons per visit. It gets recycled or burnt. It's also usually free. So I store it up and when I hit the auto parts I take in a few gallons. At my shop I have a 55 gallon drum to collect oil, but if I keep on top of it, it's not an issue to keep it managed. Keep in mind some of the cars I deal with hold like 2.5 gallons of oil as they are oil cooled. Thanks Porsche.

One of my first real jobs back when I was 19 or 20 I was a lube tech for a Cadillac dealership. We had a customer bring his Porsche in for an oil change. That thing held an enormous amount of oil and it had 2 oil filters. I thought it was the strangest thing.