Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

the mystery debris in the motor. (kawi 120) wtf

Started by m in sc, January 03, 2024, 12:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

So, my 67 kawasaki C2TR last week was being ridden, and out of nowhere, started stalling  and then just died. I go tit fired back up on the side of the road but def could hear 'something' in the motor bouncing around. figured for sure a chunk of piston broke off or a ring failed. Nope. pulled top end down, and while this piston had seen better days, there were no immediate failures except obviously SOMETHING got int he crankcases. I rebuilt the crank last year, well, the outer bearings. I have at least 150 miles on it since then, and found this. (see pics). prior it ran absolutely excellent all year.   whatever got in there was def metal, and the rod and wristpin bearings were fine as well. so, i had a spare ready to go top-end for it, so flushed out crankcases, looked in there with a borescope,  checked the exhaust and the carb and intake area, and found nothing. reassembled with spare top end, and it did the same thing inside of 2 minutes running.  :huh:  no idea WHATS in there, but def taking the motor out and splitting motor see what the hell is going on. ive never had this happen and not been able to find it, especially on a single.   :huh:  :bang:

rearwheelslider

My bike in the past had a crank bearing cage that was letting go over time. Looked very similar to this, pecking the piston and cylinder head.
1979 RD400F Daytona with Wicked chambers, Y boot, PWK30mm's.
1982 CB900F
2008 Speed Triple 1050
2001 CR250R

m in sc

Im wondering, maybe. the crank bearings are brand new so while possible, unlikely but ive seen weirder things.

Kawtriplefreak

747drvr

does the rotary valve have any damage?? can't remember if it has needle bearings or not, but whatever caused that was hard metal!!!

m in sc

nope. i checked the disc thru the window in the crankcase  and didnt see any damage. I agree, def metal. Id swear it was a 2-3mm ball bearing by the marks it left,  but there's nothing that size in the crankcase or intake. its a fkn mystery as to what it actually is. i mean, i'll find it. one way or another. 

Striker1423

My snowmobile had plastic bearing cages and those exploded when I blew it up. Looked like crack all over the place. But, that won't be the case here...

I'd double-check that rotary valve Mark. I had a hole in the middle of mine on my sled once. I mean directly in the middle of the plate. Probably explained the weird sputtering the motor did at low revs. Looked like it wore through somehow. Probably had a bearing going out on the rotary shaft and it had too much play. Or, the 2t oil quit for a while to the plate, plate was warped. Who knows.

m in sc

beats me. the disc is right on the crank so i doubt thats it, and its a fiber material to boot. its a simple motor so tearing into it is pretty easy. soon, because its bugging the shit out of me.   :huh:

747drvr

i know you have probably looked already, but is all the ceramic still on the plug?? that ceramic is really hard and could cause some issues!!

m in sc

yes, still there. i thought the ground strap might have come off actually. nope plug ok

1976RD400C

Something with the air filter/air box come apart??
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Daytona1

Man that sucks!Wrecking 2 top ends hurts. Been there with 2 Moto-villa's in the late 80s. Nice bikes never seen any before or after my 2. It was the Lower rod bearing and cage. Lost a bultaco pursang 175 after but stopped after the first top end. 

SoCal250

Ouch, that hurts. That sucks Mark. I'm interested to find out what turns up as the culprit.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

teazer

I'd speculate that it's a big end cage starting to break up. It could be a main bearing cage failing, but more likely it's a big end.

Dvsrd

Quote from: m in sc on January 03, 2024, 04:51:52 PMnope. i checked the disc thru the window in the crankcase  and didnt see any damage. I agree, def metal. Id swear it was a 2-3mm ball bearing by the marks it left,  but there's nothing that size in the crankcase or intake. its a fkn mystery as to what it actually is. i mean, i'll find it. one way or another. 
Are there any check valve balls in a separate lube system?