Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

the mystery debris in the motor. (kawi 120) wtf

Started by m in sc, January 03, 2024, 12:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

thats true. I was going to buy a press but luckily I get to use a friends at work if i need one. its total over kill . but that makes it just right.

the spec is 0.0012" to 0.004, the closest i could get the runout is .002. i'll take it.

i verified the adjustments at work today on the bigger lathe, made setting up the dial indicators easier.

Striker1423

m in sc

m in sc

got the lower end together last night, pretty simple as expected.  check out this rotary disc I got on ebay though. I bought nos stocker but also this aluminum one which must be a period high performance one. 🤔  I prob won't run that one but I'm going to def check some intake duration numbers. 

m in sc

and the follow up. took the test ride today, did really well. also, note the head nuts. these are M8 nuts for the exhaust on my XR150L, ordered a bunch from partzilla for this, and also should be good for rd chambers as well. 12mm wrench flats and allen key end.  while i was in there put on a new RK chain, and did a few other small things not worth mentioning but just small detail stuff. also, i hate the ignition on this thing, the points behind the drum suck. so time consuming to set.  :rolleyes:

bike ran great, plug looks right, motor is dead stock except for a 1mm over bore & some tiny port cleanup (which has been there for 10 years). checked compression after the test run, right at 142 PSI.

no shiny bits on the plug. yeah! (no not a plug chop)

Kawtriplefreak

kpke

Very nice. What a cool little bike. Looks like fun.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Dvsrd

I totally agree. A very cool model. The engine looks very similar to the KH/KE 100 models sold in Norway into the mid 80s. I feel a little sceptical about an alloy rotary valve. Aluminum on aluminum does not sound like a happy, friction less "marriage". I believe the composite rotary valves on other Kawasaki models had issues as well?

SoCal250

Don't know which is more surprising, that the bike is already all back together and ripping around or that price for Premium!

Looks great Mark! Small cc FTW! :vroom:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

i put in the new NOS fiber one. the aluminum one was just a 'what the hell, i'll get it' thing. it added like 27? degrees on intake duration, it was crazy. most in the beginning of the event, and added like 3 or 4 on the back side of it.  lol. the original disc was in good shape, but put in the replacement just because it was cheap.

its very related to the KH/KE motor. ign rotor swaps with them, as does a very few small parts. id love to get a CD unit for one and retrofit this, but they are hard to find.  the actual displacement is 115cc.

thanks Russ. it wasn't hard to repair, just waiting on parts and i have not much else going on in the garage right now since the KZ is pretty much done.

Striker1423

You could always mod that aluminum one to run at whatever duration you want by removing material.