Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD350 wheels

Started by STLMike, January 08, 2024, 10:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLMike

Looking for info on rims, wheels, hoops, whatever term you use.

On the RD Im Building, I found rust bubbling under the chrome. After closer inspection, It's a little more than I'm comfortable with.
Curious what lower priced options are out there? Would like to keep them chrome or polished with black spokes. I'm not going to be speed racer on this thing but want something safe for spirited street use.

Opinions?

Dvsrd

Have someone build new wheels, using your stock hubs, new rims and spokes. Not cheap, but finding good oem wheels at a low price would be extremely difficult. I have used Hagon's and Central Wheel (CWC) in the UK. I am sure there are other companies in the US and continental Europe.

rodneya

If i remember right, Mikes xs has a good selection

SoCal250

The go-to place for wheels and building is Buchanan's
https://www.buchananspokes.com/
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

IR8D8R

I did Buchanan wheels on my RD350 2 years ago. Sun rims with stainless spokes and nipples. Parts were around $825. I had a friend lace them up, but Buchanan will do it if you send them your hubs. I scrubbed, blasted, and polished my hubs first. Nasty job. Coats everything with rouge dust. If I ever polish anything again I'll move my buffer outside.

They make Sun rims at Buchanan but they have Akront, Excel, and Borrani. Plus a few other more obscure makes.The advice I got was that Sun were the strongest wheels they make at Buchanan. Probably the strongest on the market. Definitely high-quality pieces. Any other consideration is cosmetic.

Nice folks. Small shop type experience. I enjoyed dealing with them.

IR8D8R

STLMike

Thanks for the responses. Seems like I'll be digging into the wallet a little deeper  than planned.

mixedbikes

Mikes XS does have some on sale, do not know what exactly what you want, but it is worth a look.  https://www.mikesxs.net/tires-and-wheels.html?p=2

Dvsrd

Quote from: STLMike on January 09, 2024, 04:56:14 PMThanks for the responses. Seems like I'll be digging into the wallet a little deeper  than planned.
With the rim/spoke price from Buchanan being very high, I recommended you check with the UK wheel builders I mentioned. It may end up cheaper, even with shipping hubs one way, a d shipping complete wheels back.

teazer

Save yourself a ton of cash and get new spokes and rims from Mike's XS and build them yourself.

STLMike

Quote from: teazer on January 12, 2024, 05:54:22 PMSave yourself a ton of cash and get new spokes and rims from Mike's XS and build them yourself.

I contacted mikes xs via email with some questions. The response I got was a link to the wheel section on their website.

Not exactly great service.

svgarage

Quote from: STLMike on January 12, 2024, 09:23:28 PM
Quote from: teazer on January 12, 2024, 05:54:22 PMSave yourself a ton of cash and get new spokes and rims from Mike's XS and build them yourself.
I contacted mikes xs via email with some questions. The response I got was a link to the wheel section on their website.
I bought some budget rims for my build from 4into1.com. Their "Rising Sun" rims come from Taiwan (not Japan). Welds bulge a little. They trued up pretty easily, but there's a slight hop. For the price, can't argue! They'll be fine for my purposes.
A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint ExupĂ©ry

STLMike

Quote from: svgarage on January 12, 2024, 10:32:50 PM
Quote from: STLMike on January 12, 2024, 09:23:28 PM
I bought some budget rims for my build from 4into1.com. Their "Rising Sun" rims come from Taiwan (not Japan). Welds bulge a little. They trued up pretty easily, but there's a slight hop. For the price, can't argue! They'll be fine for my purposes.

Those are more what I'm looking for but can't find a 36 hole 2.15x18

teazer

I know I have a new 2.50x18 36 hole and pretty sure I have a couple of good or new 2.15s as well if you are interested let me know (PM or email me) and I'll dig them out