Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

FPP small can repair, upgrade on mounting

Started by m in sc, January 24, 2024, 08:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

thanks guys. it's really nothing too terribly special but its a solid rider. since no one bought it it just keeps getting nicer parts thrown at it when i'm bored. lol. i am -really- happy with the texavina seat on it . the FPPs were a  spur of the moment opportunity... so i bit.  This is the down side / up-side of not having a big project taking up shop space or budget

IR8D8R

Your can's exits look a lot different than my early FPP's. Unless there's a trim cap I'm missing

Mark's stickers came out nearly indistinguishable from the originals. :clap:

You almost never see these cans with the stickers intact. Probably because they keep falling off and get torn up.

IR8D8R

Djg8493

Those decals came out great, if you still have extra I'd buy a set or two. 
I tried the same process when I put smaller cans on my JLs but the site I went through to copy the sticker didn't end up well.  And I think I had to by 30 sets... :haw:
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

2steve

IR8D8R, your snap ring fixed guts in the FPP can is actually much easier than the factory original. The end cap is fixed in with a wire, which is HARD to fish out. Steel wire in a groove that has to be pulled/scraped out against aluminum. Makes one wonder how many more times it will hold.

Rather than trust the hose clamps to hold the cans on, I rigged up a spring kit with rivets yesterday. Gonna see how well that does. Stickers from Mark made me realize how valuable the cans are. No way I want to lose them on the road now:

m in sc

2steve

Wife spotted that polished stainless band material in a 30 ft roll at the Amazon bin store. I would have walked right past it. It is excellent for this spring application. Have plenty extra, of course.

Dvsrd

m in sc

2steve

Yoshi is very good to order from direct.
Got springs, spring puller tool and a couple of their stickers.
All packaged in cool individual logo'd parts zip lock bags which come in handy later :thumbs:

IR8D8R

I've been wondering what cans would be best to replace these with if you had to. The stinger is partially in the can originally so I presume that you should try to match that length? Then you'd need to weld on a longer stinger of similar length to other pipes to use a slip-on can? Or would it make a difference?

IR8D8R

m in sc

I wasn't sure i was going to be able to save mine.. if not, was going to go with Tyga cans. it requires the 3 bolt flange to be welded on the stinger, but thats no big deal. here's a link to the page and some screenshots below. lots of options.

https://tyga-performance.com/index.php?cPath=72_1035_74_89&osCsid=va476r4gmpvtoel98og9c3r7i3