This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

R5 Autopsy

Started by Czakky, June 09, 2019, 09:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quocle603

Quote from: Czakky on July 05, 2019, 08:27:43 AM
I'm not ready count my chickens yet, but remember that the injector lines on an R5 go straight to the hot cylinders too. So maybe the clear lines I bought work on an RD (carb fed) but might soften on an R5 causing them to open and pull in air.....

I'm going to be out of town for a few days, but hopefully I'll have an answer next week.

Bill, take some time to R&R. Come back to it in a few with a cleared mind. When you solve it, you'll be blasting :vroom:
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Czakky

New injector lines... same problem. Tank is full of 40:1, oil pump gone. I tried, maybe I'll pass this pump along to have a pro rebuild it.
I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I've had a hand in rebuilding geothermal pumps driven by 450 hp motors the size of a VW. These little guys are apparently beyond me.... :bang:

Striker1423

Quote from: Czakky on July 10, 2019, 03:33:58 PM
New injector lines... same problem. Tank is full of 40:1, oil pump gone. I tried, maybe I'll pass this pump along to have a pro rebuild it.
I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I've had a hand in rebuilding geothermal pumps driven by 450 hp motors the size of a VW. These little guys are apparently beyond me.... :bang:

Sorry to hear that. Upped the main jets for premix?

quocle603

Upjet and start blasting with premix. You can figure out the issue during the winter time.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Czakky

I've got it at 155 mains, 160 seemed rich. I was at 145 and 150 safely on the pump. Either way on the needles notch seems to decrease performance..... atleast on the pump.

Czakky

What is the deal with the throttle cable splitter? Does it come apart?

Striker1423

Quote from: Czakky on July 11, 2019, 07:30:33 PM
What is the deal with the throttle cable splitter? Does it come apart?
If its the same or similar to the RD's. Yes. The top cable goes in and there's a cover over that junction. The cover separates from the body of the splitter and allows access inside the housing to get to the individual cables and splitter block. Should pop apart fairly easily.

Czakky

Very old thread, but in short: OEM injector lines good, clear lines bad!

http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=61543.0

Not sure if you need to be a member or not.

rodneya

Quote from: Czakky on August 27, 2020, 05:47:36 PM
Very old thread, but in short: OEM injector lines good, clear lines bad!

http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=61543.0

Not sure if you need to be a member or not.

Not sure if I buy the heat and vacuum explanation. There is not much vacuum, and there are too many people not having any issues with clear lines.
Besides if you put on black Yamaha lines does it magically go away or you just cant see it.

I had problems with my pump because there first the tank was dirty and then I was getting a bubble in the feed line. I only found that when I switched to a clear line. Wiggled the bubble out and no more issues with clear lines and Yamaha clips.

Czakky

Not sure, I had OEM line originally but my bike seized after installing clear lines. I primed the pump many times spending a lot of time getting air bubbles out. As soon as I would go for a ride the left injector line would fill with air. I tried atleast two types of clear lines. This is of course on an R5 (cylinder injection). Switched to OEM black lines and both pipes smoke equally always. Many other changes since then as well though.  :twocents:

quocle603

Quote from: Czakky on August 27, 2020, 06:59:49 PM
Not sure, I had OEM line originally but my bike seized after installing clear lines. I primed the pump many times spending a lot of time getting air bubbles out. As soon as I would go for a ride the left injector line would fill with air. I tried atleast two types of clear lines. This is of course on an R5 (cylinder injection). Switched to OEM black lines and both pipes smoke equally always. Many other changes since then as well though.  :twocents:

Those are magical black OEM lines.

Jspooner

I use the clear lines that yambits sells. Have not had any problems with them. I even run them on my TZ motor.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"