Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Suzuki rg250 gamma walter wolf

Started by Milan, February 08, 2024, 12:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

Any one have any info or comments on a bike like this.
Compared tot eh TZR's
TZR's still have parts you can find as well,
What about parts availability for these, and such

teazer

We had a more or less stock Mk2 RG250 years ago and even with a slight clean up of the crankcase reed ports, it was way faster than our RD400s mainly because it handled so well.  It seemed to carve through corners where the RD250 and 400 felt like a a lead frame.  They didn't wobble, as such but the RG just felt lighter and more confidence inspiring.

I'd love an RG250 rolling chassis to drop my RZ350 motor into to build a Yamagamma for even more fun.

2smokeRonin

I have a TZR250 1kt/2ma mix and a mk3 Canadian RG250 (blue white version).
The TZR250 I can find parts fairly easy. I can even go to the local Yamaha dealer for some parts. Lots of parts available globally.
The rg250 is downright hard to find parts for. I can get some parts at the dealer - but not like the tzr250. The Walter wolf is an mk4 gamma rg250 - special paint, wheels and a few other parts but mostly an mk3 - parts are even more rare and sought after.

Mine sat for years while searching for part. I saw on a uk site that the rz350 engine fit in easy enough with a couple of brackets and spacers. That's what I did in the end. Bike is a blast to ride. Keeping all the stock rg250 parts as I can easily put it back to stock if I ever need to.

Hope this helps

busa1300

They had the worlds first production aluminum frame in 83. I have seen people use RGV250, or if living in the US, older 600 bandit/katana front ends and rear wheels to modernize them to better tires and brakes.
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

2 Stroke Jamoke

They handle amazing but are painfully slow imo. I also threw a rz350 engine in mine, once you do that it's a weapon! I will say it feels small to, im 5'10 and 200lbs and it's cramped. Cheers

Milan

Pricing on these was about the same as the RZ(RD)350 YPVS's and the TZR250's.
 $7500 to $10000

I was worried, as stated above about the parts availability first.
Then the handling & ride-ability.

Thanks

M

busa1300

Parts availability... New parts are few and far between, but used parts are pretty cheap. I would not consider one if they are that much $$$, and get a more modern and much better RGV. Parts are much easier to find, and there are places that still have everything for a motor rebuild or up grade. Handling and HP of a RGV will make an RG feel pretty sad for the same effort and $$$ to rebuild.
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared