Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

wrist pin press

Started by rdsarefun, February 10, 2024, 03:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdsarefun

Did a quick search and nothing came up so here goes.  What do you guys use to press the wrist pin out of connecting rod?  I am going to put my new top end on my RD350 in a few weeks and wanted to know if you made items or just bought a puller online.  Worried about damaging the connecting rod bearings if I get too aggressive, trying to alleviate any issues. Thanks

Economy Cycle John

There are piston pin pullers, but you really don't need one. Lube it up, press in with your hands or lightly tap in.

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/tools-hardware/wrenches-pliers-related/piston-pin-puller-tool/

www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag

m in sc

i usually use mine to remove any risk of bending a rod, i have one of those it works great.  :twocents:

bitzz

Warm the piston
Cool the pin
A bit of oil
It slips right in

m in sc

never had in issue getting one in, that's for getting it out.

Economy Cycle John

Guess I mis-read that on the in/out, but generally IMO you don't really need one, maybe if it's seized and a real mess, but if things are that bad maybe time for full rebuild. You can use a block of wood to support the rod if you're that concerned. Never bent a rod tapping out a wrist pin and don't recall anyone that has or any posts/customers where that's happened. And sometimes they get hung up going in and need a light tap too. Maybe I should but it's just a tool I've never found necessary.  :twocents:
www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag

85RZwade

Same here; I have the one John pictured, and it's almost pristine from non-use.
At the risk of hijacking this thread, my nephew is rebuilding an old Isuzu truck engine and was telling me that he's having difficulty pressing the wrist pins out of the rods. I've done my share of four-stroke top ends but haven't run into this. Is it typical of automotive engines?

I post waayyy too much

m in sc

some are pressed on the rod, some float. if it has clips it floats

I've experienced a piston that had a ridge worn in, 2 stroke, and the pin puller was a saving grace. do I always use it? no.

soonerbillz

At the risk of outting myself as a barbarian I've just used a deep socket and C clamp on stuck pins.
 Also on automotive pistons too Wade.

85RZwade

I think a C-clamp is a very civilized tool! Far more sophisticated than baby Thor
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

before i had that, i also did that. nothing wrong w it, but i mean i think i paid 15 bucks for mine. years ago. more tools: better life quality.  :gentleman:  :metal:

Hawaii-Mike

Quote from: m in sc on February 10, 2024, 05:45:54 PMi usually use mine to remove any risk of bending a rod, i have one of those it works great.  :twocents:
I once bent a rod forcing a piston pin.  Didn't realize it until I slid the cylinders on and there was too much friction on the side of the cylinder. That required a new rod and a crank rebuild. Buy a piston pin puller.

Dvsrd

Normally, the problem is a tiny burr/ lip that has formed on the outside edge of the circlip groove. A quick cleanup of this burr with a pocket knife, small machinist's bearing scraper or other suitable tool is all that is required 99 percent of the time. After doing this you can push the wristpin out using very little force. Think about it; the wristpin bore in the piston is very unlikely to shrink with usage.....

m in sc

if i can't just slide it out, i grab the puller. that tool exists for a reason. that's all i'm saying. 

Yamanatic

Quote from: 85RZwade on February 11, 2024, 12:34:42 PMSame here; I have the one John pictured, and it's almost pristine from non-use.
At the risk of hijacking this thread, my nephew is rebuilding an old Isuzu truck engine and was telling me that he's having difficulty pressing the wrist pins out of the rods. I've done my share of four-stroke top ends but haven't run into this. Is it typical of automotive engines?

Don't know for sure on Isuzu, but many car engines (American mostly) have press-fit pins no retaining clips. A hydraulic press is necessary.

Warren
Of Course It's Gonna Make Some Noise - There's GAS Exploding In There!