Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Snowmobile/ Sled 2 strokes

Started by Dvsrd, March 04, 2024, 12:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

Not about bikes but still....I haven't ridden any snowmobiles since the late 90's, back when the majority were still carburetted.
Today I was with my son testing a couple of Finnish made Lynx sleds. Lynx is pretty much a sister brand of Ski-Doo, so both under the BRP umbrella. One of the two was an 850 E-Tech twin (non-turbo). But holy crap!
Power and throttle response was mildly put scary, at least on the hard packed snow on the trail we rode on. I do not what power these are supposed to have, but it must be close to 150 hp... Just imagine that kind of engine in a 600 supersport type bike. Just lighter than any I-4 four stroke.....

85RZwade

They're amazing, aren't they? I remember when the refrain was that to make two strokes clean enough, they'd need fuel injection and sophisticated electronics, so four strokes it is. Now here we are, and all I can think of is what a modern RD350 with just a smattering of modern snowmobile technology would be like.
I post waayyy too much

2 Smoker

I think my next off street buy is going to be a 90's three cylinder two stroke sled. I worked for a steel fabricating shop in Wyoming and was asked by the owner to work on his sleds and get them running...they were all two strokes and after getting the three up and running with one having a top end rebuild. He let the staff take them up to the Uintas in Utah for an outing, this being my first time ever on one and lets just say  :eek: WOW the power bands were intense and I was impressed.

bitzz

skiDoo makes a 2T sled EFI and SUPER CHARGED... it's actually a dud, made for mountains and it is tuned to keep the same power output, no matter the altitude.... so the charger does nothing at sea level
BUT all the parts are there....
And it passes California clean air... in stock tune.

Washerman

I have a 1976 Arctic Cat panterra 5000 that is a blast to ride. I have been looking at a triple also. Every once in a while i see one on craigs list.

busa1300

RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

rodneya

Do those new sleds have a pressed together crank?

I just bought a little fishing boat to take out with my son and it has a 75 two stroke dfi motor that uses compressed air to atomoize the fuel or something. Anyway , it has a 4 stroke type crank and rods and uses split cage roller bearings.
Its not a high tune type motor, but its interesting.Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 18-47-34 Mercury 844338A01 - BEARING KIT Boats.net.png[attach id=20283]Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 18-47-34

mnein

Had a 90's 600 triple for many years and loved it. Had a chance to ride a new Arctic Cat 800 twin a couple years ago and it was amazing. Pulled like a train from idle to top end. I think it was in the 150 hp range.

Dvsrd

Quote from: bitzz on March 04, 2024, 06:08:38 PMskiDoo makes a 2T sled EFI and SUPER CHARGED... it's actually a dud, made for mountains and it is tuned to keep the same power output, no matter the altitude.... so the charger does nothing at sea level
BUT all the parts are there....
And it passes California clean air... in stock tune.
I actually believe that engine is also an ETEC, not EFI. ETEC is direct, high pressure injection into the combustion chamber, while EFI is more conventional, low pressure injection replacing carburettors. I am pretty sure the ETEC two stroke engines are more fuel efficient than EFI.

Dvsrd

Quote from: mnein on March 05, 2024, 07:38:00 AMHad a 90's 600 triple for many years and loved it. Had a chance to ride a new Arctic Cat 800 twin a couple years ago and it was amazing. Pulled like a train from idle to top end. I think it was in the 150 hp range.
My son just told me that the 850 ETEC is around 180 hp.....
After our test run, and him talking to a lot of locals doing what he wants to do (tracking wolverines, lynx cats and wolves causing loss of livestock including reindeer), he decided on a Lynx sled with a 600 ETEC, having a "paltry 126 hp.....Which should be plenty IMHO....

Yamanatic

Ex Minne-snow-tan here... I remember the Yamaha Vmax4 750cc 4-cylinder, Yamaha's first 'Muscle Sled.' They are (were) slap-flat wicked!

I always thought transplanting the entire drive assembly into an M/C chassis and building the ultimate drag bike with a sled clutch and TZ750 mods; it would be a shoe-in for Bracket racing with only one 'gear' - no shifting, and a clutch setup that keeps the motor at 10K-rpm for the entire run.

Moved to Phoenix before I found a donor sled, but maybe up in Flagstaff there's one?

Warren
Of Course It's Gonna Make Some Noise - There's GAS Exploding In There!

2 Smoker

Quote from: Washerman on March 04, 2024, 09:04:39 PMI have a 1976 Arctic Cat panterra 5000 that is a blast to ride. I have been looking at a triple also. Every once in a while i see one on craigs list.

I think I might be referring to older arctic cat models and they do come up on CL. Not sure if parts are readily available for these machines and will have to do some research.

IR8D8R

I always wondered if you could fit one of the 800cc 2-stroke snow machine twins in a motorcycle frame with a separate trans like HD or Triumph. All the kids on YouTube leave the pulley CVT system hanging out one side. I could maybe stomach a triple roller chain primary. Not one of those chopper-style open belts. Early T120. A Harley trans would be easier to find in the U.S. I know someone's done it... Be fun to kick start.

IR8D8R

m in sc

THERES BEEN A PLAN BREWING TO STUFF A (WEAK BY COMPARISON) 440 rockwell motor in a frame. however, to use a blown-up (topend) EX250 lower end, take the crank out, put in a jack-shaft, blank off the cases and mount it where the cyls used to be. chain drive the crank/jack shaft and viola: transmission, charging system etc. fwiw.. the motor(s) are on hand and waiting for the right time, if ever.    :toot:  :devil: