Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

help with solid state reg/rec

Started by Gil Gallad, March 13, 2024, 05:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil Gallad

mate is having tremendous problems with the wiring on his air cooled rd250. with a new 5 wire reg/rec on it he can work out where those wires go, but what now feeds the green wire that goes to the points? a wiring diagram would be most useful before he drives me mad. many thanks for any help  :wave:
cheers, gil.

Gil Gallad

basically, we need to know where the green wire that used to come from the generator to the regulator now go? or what it actually does. the wiring diagram for his bike is no help at all  :huh:
cheers, gil.

m in sc

where did the solid state come from. ? it matters. honda , for example, uses green as earth. typically, on a solid state regulator for an exited field system like the rds has, its 3  yellow wires, stator. then:  IF honda protocol, black is switched 12v, red is battery, and green, if it has it, is earth. white as field (or the green rd wire).

5 wire probably ISN'T for an exited field, you need 6 wire. the green wire is what turns on the electromagnet on the rotor to actually get it to charge. 5 wires, typically, are for permanent magnet systems. .02

Gil Gallad

thanks mark, i'll relay that information to him. the 3 phase reg/rec he's using afaik is just a universal, which i think is the same as i had on my gt550 or 750. 3 yellow wires, a red and a black. unfortunately he's one of these people that wiring frightens to death and basically all he wanted to do was get rid of his old regulator and rectifier and fit an up to date reg/rec  :like:
cheers, gil.

m in sc

this will work for sure.

https://4into1.com/regulator-rectifier-lithium-lead-acid-honda-cb350f-cb400f-cb500-cb550-cb750/

green: ground. black: 12v switched, red: battery. white: to rd green brush wire.

Gil Gallad