Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Push of Shame 75 RD350

Started by Kawtriplefreak, March 23, 2024, 10:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

I was excited to take advantage of the weather yesterday and finally test ride my RD after the fork ears headlight bucket change. Fired on the 2nd kick. Warmed it up and took off down the road. Came to the 1st intersection put on the right turn signal and the motor died shortly thereafter. I was about a half mile from home. No lights. Very dim neutral light with kill switch off. I got my aerobics in on the 1/2 mile push of shame back to the shop.
Got my meter out and read a lovely 5.4 volts of battery voltage. I charged the battery for 10 minutes and had 12.5 volts. 1st sign indicator that something was amiss. Cranked it up. Checked the charging system 14.7 volts. Headlight on turn signals on motor dies. Interesting parallel to the white RZ except it kept running of course since it is CDI. Battery voltage again 5 volts. Battery is 4 years old so it will get replaced today. Did a final test to confirm by running bike with charger hooked up briefly and it runs and idles perfectly with lights and turn signals on with brake lever pulled as long as it is hooked to the charger.
In other news the white RZ test ride with the new battery was flawless.

Kawtriplefreak

Took the old battery to O'Reilly's Auto Parts and got a new one. Installed it. Fired on the 1st kick. Warmed it up and checked the charging system. 14.5 with no lights on. 13.1 with all lights on  brake applied and turn signals on.
Roads were wet so no test ride today. Then I put the Gray Ghost RZ on the lift for Zeeltronic ignition  installation.

rodneya

I really like the sealed alarm backup batteries. They dont leak and last 7 to 8 years and are cheap.

m in sc

Kawtriplefreak

Took the RD out for a test ride. Ran perfectly. Deals Gap Prep complete except for a good scrubbing.

SoCal250

Quote from: Kawtriplefreak on March 31, 2024, 04:51:12 PMTook the RD out for a test ride. Ran perfectly. Deals Gap Prep complete except for a good scrubbing.
:olaf:  :whoop:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)