Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Zeeltronic install Gray Ghost RZ350

Started by Kawtriplefreak, April 06, 2024, 01:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

Today was the day for the Zeeltronic install. Frank B came over and got after it. Frank is a wiring wizard :olaf:  :olaf: Thank you Frank!!

About 2 hours later it fired up and ran on the 2nd kick.  :celebrate:  :celebrate: We used part of the plug kit and the very cool fancy crimpers from Economy Cycle. Thanks John :patriot:
The plugs for the power valve controller were a direct swap. The Canadian version has the 29K CDI box with round pins instead of flat so we cut the plugs off of the CDI box to avoid altering the main harness.

The new Zeeltronic units don't have any provisions for mounting the box to the bike. I keep heavy duty velcro on hand and it worked pefectly for the new Zeeltronic CDI/power valve controller now mounted in the spot formerly occupied by the factory power valve controller.
M in SC provided the 7 step power valve control curve and the 9 step ignition timing curve developed after hours of extensive testing on his RZ and we input the data into the Zeel known as the Hasse Curve with the hand held programmer. Mark also provided telephone tech support for Frank B and me. Thanks Mark!!

I test rode it after I got it back together and it is a different motorcycle. More power everywhere, more linear power delivery and better temperature control.  :righteous:  :righteous:

m in sc

85RZwade

I'm going to have to add that to my wish list!
I post waayyy too much

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

msr

Man, Tim. That's bike come a long, long way. Congrats on the improvements!

Kawtriplefreak

Striker1423

Kawtriplefreak

Took the Gray Ghost out for a final test ride. Running great. Temperature was 195 degrees as I merged onto I-66 for a little high speed run and I accelerated to 80 MPH. Temperature spiked to 221 and the left cylinder went away. No boiling over and no loss of coolant or white smoke. Temperature dropped to 175 and I knew if I shut it off it wouldn't be starting again and I was 8 miles from home so I limped back to the shop on the RH cylinder at 45 MPH. I pulled the plugs and both were dark but the LH plug looked like it had dark flakes on it. I did a compression test. RH cylinder 108 ( not great ). LH cylinder 0 ( really not great). I am guessing there is now an extra window in the LH piston crown. I uncovered the Phoenix Project and checked it over as it hadn't been started in 3 months. I pulled one fuel line off of the Gray Ghost and got my funnel and gas can and drained the fuel while I was test riding the Phoenix. All went well on the test ride so I put it up on the lift and gave it a quick detail, checked the chain adjustment and greased the swingarm. Deals Gap lineup has changed to White RZ, Phoenix Project and 75 RD350.
I don't have time to investigate the Gray Ghost further as I have a 6 day work week this week so I need to prep the trailer and start packing as I can in the mornings this week plus get all the other normal life crap done before I go. I am grateful this happened here and not on the Dragon or somewhere in the mountains of East TN where there is no cell service. The Gray Ghost will live again..

Kawtriplefreak

I am also grateful it didn't lock up at 80 and kill me.

m in sc

as mush as it sucks.. time for an upgrade!  :olaf:  :metal:  :toot:

kpke

Grey ghost  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  Have fun at the event with the other bikes :vroom:
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Kawtriplefreak

rodneya

Do a quick leak down test before ripping it apart.

SoCal250

:sad: bummer! Sorry to hear the news Tim, but like you said it's better to happen near home than on a trip in another state.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Kawtriplefreak

Yep the history on that motor is a mystery and it sat for at least 5 years before I got it and porting and machine work is unknown as well. If time permits I will at least stick my borescope in the LH cylinder and look for carnage.