(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

What did you do to your 2T today?

Started by pdxjim, July 07, 2019, 02:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

pidjones

Quote from: Czakky on August 11, 2020, 09:06:16 PM
You got work cut out for you there. What's the plan? Keep it stock?
Except changing the color to Geneva Green and bars to CB400F (just lower rise and a bit narrower) I plan to keep it stock. Even planning to find stock mufflers. This is the only picture that I can find of the one I had in the 70's (with my mom):
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

85RZwade

:vroom: rode it! We did 30 miles in Washington's Capitol forest, and my boys did well. In one of my now-famous low speed tipovers, I bent my OEM handlebars last week. Can you believe it? After only 21 years... I should file a warranty claim. Anyway, instead of trying to straighten them, I put on an old set of OEM Yamaha (Honda?) ATV bars that were lying around. I'm 6'3" and have always kinda thought taller bars would be more comfortable when standing, which I succeed in doing about 85% of the time.

They look pretty wonky, and feel a little weird when I get tired and sit down, but definitely great when I get up on the pegs where I belong. As a bonus, they have steel slugs welded in the ends that I had to drill and tap 5/16-16 for bark busters. They are absolutely bomb-proof now! I know, they're uneven and the left grip isn't safety wired yet... I was in a hurry, OK?
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

Rolled it into the garage (from the shed) to start on it! Sold the '78 GL1000 today, so it left enough space to actually work on the RD. Already have the masters stripped down and interiors cleaned, exterior will be cleaned of the loose paint tomorrow. Also fixed a broken tab on the bottom of the right side cover. Cleaned, glued with ABS cement, and then reinforced with fiberglass cloth worked in with ABS cement.

Lots of parts on order. gonna be a fun time!

rodneya

Air cooled no more.

Fired her up for a quick test after giving her a heart transplant.
There is still a bit of work to finish the exhausts, carb tuning and find an air filter that will actually fit in the tiny gap between the back of the carbs and the frame.
But it was nice to hear her run after putting together a bunch of used parts. Especially the Dynatek CDI, Nology coil and Banshee stator that were bought off Facebook sites. Not much of a warranty option if parts are DOA.

85RZwade

You've had a busy weekend, Rodney! Looks great, hope to read more about it soon  8)
I post waayyy too much

paul1478

Quote from: rodneya on August 25, 2020, 11:48:39 PM
Air cooled no more.

There is still a bit of work to finish the exhausts, carb tuning and find an air filter that will actually fit in the tiny gap between the back of the carbs and the frame.
But it was nice to hear her run after putting together a bunch of used parts. Especially the Dynatek CDI, Nology coil and Banshee stator that were bought off Facebook sites. Not much of a warranty option if parts are DOA.
wow, that is NICE. Great work!
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

m in sc

man that looks great. :clap:

suggestion: get some looong all foam unis, not the hard backed ones, at 15" angle, and use regular size appropriate manifolds (that should add about an inch of clearance, I had the same intake installed).

rodneya

Quote from: m in sc on August 26, 2020, 10:07:41 AM
man that looks great. :clap:

suggestion: get some looong all foam unis, not the hard backed ones, at 15" angle, and use regular size appropriate manifolds (that should add about an inch of clearance, I had the same intake installed).

I tried the long unis, but the bend in the frame is directly behind the carb so they dont fit. The intake is actually the internal crossover version, but I took that piece out to get more clearance. I have ordered smaller intakes, but delivery is very slow these days.
I should have cut out that piece of the frame and added in a new piece with some clearance and a new rear motor mount, but I wanted to leave the frame alone so that I can put the AC motor back if I want to. Even the rad mounts are bolt on.

Im thinking of trying one of the flat foam type filters made for Weber or Delorto 45 downdraft carbs

m in sc

id be curious to hear what you find with that, but think it will restrict flow too much. Ive actually considered making something that went around the tube as well.

I feel your pain. this is as good as ive gotten it. ive even tried milled spacers at a slight angle to bring them in, the 250/350 frame just isn't suited for it. But it runs great otherwise.

rodneya

Quote from: m in sc on August 26, 2020, 11:13:52 AM
id be curious to hear what you find with that, but think it will restrict flow too much. Ive actually considered making something that went around the tube as well.

I feel your pain. this is as good as ive gotten it. ive even tried milled spacers at a slight angle to bring them in, the 250/350 frame just isn't suited for it. But it runs great otherwise.

The filters Im looking at are all foam, and a weber 45 is supposed to be able to flow 350cfm per choke, so Im hoping they will work. Otherwise I will have to finish off the y fitting I was making

m in sc

350GUY

Quote from: rodneya on August 25, 2020, 11:48:39 PM
Air cooled no more.

Very cool Rodney.
Do you have your build under the "Haus of Projects" section? Would love to read thru...

Kawtriplefreak

Rode the RZ on the 50 mile round trip to Edinburgh, VA to the John Deere dealership for a reseal kit for the loader on my John Deere 2755. Beautiful day, not too hot. Wheelies were pulled. Fun was had. Speed limits were safely ignored for the most part. The RZ ran perfect.

pidjones

Quote from: Kawtriplefreak on August 26, 2020, 04:26:37 PM
Rode the RZ on the 50 mile round trip to Edinburgh, VA to the John Deere dealership for a reseal kit for the loader on my John Deere 2755. Beautiful day, not too hot. Wheelies were pulled. Fun was had. Speed limits were safely ignored for the most part. The RZ ran perfect.
Gotta love the parts availability of Deeres. And as a stock holder, I love the markup they demand!