This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

4U0regon

Started by pdxjim, February 10, 2019, 06:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

Ugh.  Woodruff key got mashed.

Will try to file mine back into shape, I guess.

I'm assuming they are all the same on all RD-RZ's ... anyone have a spare?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

rodneya

Quote from: pdxjim on December 19, 2020, 08:51:02 PM
Ugh.  Woodruff key got mashed.

Will try to file mine back into shape, I guess.

I'm assuming they are all the same on all RD-RZ's ... anyone have a spare?

Woodruff key is just for alignment and the tightness of the nut is not what keeps the flywheel on. The taper is what holds the flywheel on and the nut just gets it on the taper. You should put a bit of valve lapping compound on the crank, put the flywheel on and spin it to lap it to the crank. Clean it all up and then put back together.

pdxjim

Quote from: rodneya on December 19, 2020, 09:07:13 PM

Woodruff key is just for alignment and the tightness of the nut is not what keeps the flywheel on. The taper is what holds the flywheel on and the nut just gets it on the taper. You should put a bit of valve lapping compound on the crank, put the flywheel on and spin it to lap it to the crank. Clean it all up and then put back together.

Yup.  I lapped the rotor to the taper during first assembly. 

I do understand the function of the key, but the upper part got squished from the rotor flopping around, and I'm afraid if I file it back into shape, the slop will allow for imprecise location and timing.

Maybe overthinking it, but it sounds like I can pick up a spare key from Garrett tomorrow.

He's a real blessing to have around, that guy.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

nice.  :clap: man that things thirsty.

pidjones

If you have a local Ace hardware, our local one stocks a variety of Woodruff keys as well as a good selection of metric fasteners.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

pdxjim

Welcome back!

Been a bit frustrated with the LC this past 8mos since I posted last in this thread.

Jetting was doing my head in.  Got up to 55 pilots, N68A #2, 165 mains before I got tired of fcuking with it and pushed it into the corner of the garage.  It was clearly WAY rich, an fourstroking thru the rev range, but would barely pull off the line with any smaller pilots. 

I started thinking about selling it and buying a turnkey modern sport standard (FZ09, Street Triple, 790 Duke, etc), but then realized there must be something else going on effecting the jetting and making it so hard to tune.

I had always been unsatisfied with the way I modified the OEM RZ intake manifolds to fit the PWK's and the Vforce reed cages.  I ordered a set of UPP manifolds, and pulled the intake apart.  When i pulled the manifolds off I found (what appeared to be) a massive air leak between the manifolds and the reed cages.  For some reason I didn't use gaskets there, and the Threebond alone didn't seem to be cutting it.  The trimmed stuffer ears may have been preventing a proper seal as well.

Anyway, I got it all buttoned back up and I got a Banshee leakdown kit off ebay and it held 6psi util I got tired of waiting for it to go down.

I dropped the jetting down to 50, N68A #2, 150.  Hopefully it runs better than before. 

I also managed to squirrel away a few hundred bucks in the garage fund, so maybe a new YSS rear shock or Zeel is in my future.

Watch this space for more progress.  I should be able to get a few laps around the neighborhood tomorrow, and the club is doing another Drag Night this Friday.

Best I could manage on the TDR last time was 14.75 ET @ 90mph.  My launches were TERRIBLE.

pdxjim

It runs way better!!!

Going down to 45 pilots tomorrow. 

85RZwade

:righteous:gettin it done, man!
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Balls!

Only can find one 45 pilot, so hit jetsrus.com and ordered one 45, two 48, and a pair of 148 mains.

Plugs are wet, but starting to look the right color at least.

Oof!  YSS shock looking like $375 shipped from the UK.   Might be out of my budget.

Better find more stuff to sell!

85RZwade

I know it ain't jetsrus. Just sayin'.

I post waayyy too much

m in sc

nice!

if you go with a zeel, get a banshee 4 degree offset woodruff key so you can program some advance in it as well. 

pdxjim

Welp, got the call from James at nocamresto.com that the paint is done.

Only been a year, guess I better get back to work.

m in sc

Evans Ward

That is beautiful paint work!  :thumbs: :clap:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Kawtriplefreak