News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1985 Yamaha RZ350 Red/White/Blue Kenny Roberts Edition

Started by skyline, January 31, 2024, 03:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snaggletooth77x and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dgorms

Dude, you're almost there! Went thru the same sh## with one of mine. Check "ALL" the connections!
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

50gary

Quote from: kpke on February 02, 2024, 08:13:06 AM
Quote from: skyline on February 01, 2024, 06:42:11 PMIs there any secret recipe on setting the mufflers to get the distinctive 2-stroke crackle the way you got at 1 minute mark in this video below?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LB1nB0jDH4

Now that's a sound with Authority!

No secret recipe. That first start video was in the garage and it was all closed up. I did repack those Spec 2 silencers years ago. When I did that years ago I thought it got too quiet. My thrasher bike with Toomeys I have never repacked the silencers. It's loud and I love it. The 500 sings a good tune also. I'm sure your bike will sound great with those (Toomey?) pipes although the silencers look non-Toomey. Good luck.

skyline

So, got quite a few updates ..... quite a bit actually.

1. The speedometer had missing parts - clutch meter and retainer clutch. Luckily I had them so that worked out.

2. The front brakes were installed incorrectly - yea that's solely user/installer error -> Me. So Dave (my mechanic) ended up fixing that, also swap hoses (again, no guessing who that was) and bled them.

3. Needed rear wheel bearings, seals and sprocket carrier bearing. I had a stash of those that came with the parts, so that's off the to-do list now.

skyline

4. Carbs - I had taken apart only of the carbs and it was clean so didn't bother with the other one. Turns out that had all the gunk in it and there was no way it would have started. The other issue was that the brass starter bleed pipe is missing on the right one (not sure if that's how they come) so ... eventually ... I may just go for the VM-34 that were bought from up north many moons ago for a RD350 and were never used. I was fore-warned by KawiTripeFreak on the carbs and how they are a pain to setup. I learnt it (kinda) first hand.

5. Sticky throttle was not because of handlebars or tube as thought of earlier. It was the gunked-up carb doing it all. After cleanup, just works fine.

6. Had a nail in the tire so I had a new one installed. I went with the factory specs Bridgestone Battlax BT46.

skyline

7. Swingarm linkage dust covers were missing so I ended up procuring those.

8. Coolant pipe on the clutch side wasn't seated in all the way so that would have been a disaster. I'm glad I got to Dave and let the SME handle it. I would have surely blew up the transmission and not even know the why's of it.

skyline

9. Gas tank and the other body work is back from painter. He did quite an impressive job sans the time taken but I'm quite happy on the outcome. He's a hard-working dude and I guess we can cut him a slack after-all stuff happens.

10. The neutral light was still ever elusive as it has been and I ended up with a CU but the existing one magically worked after few starts. Yay!

11. Fuel petcock needs rebuild so I'm waiting on it.

12. Still have thermostat issue to tackle, it's been leaking and we tried 2 of'em so far and on to testing 3rd one. Apparently they do not sell just the seal so it has to be in it's entirety.

13. Got the kick starter spring and ball which were missing too.

skyline

Question for you guys - I have a leak in the inside seam of the 2T oil tank (see pic). Have any ideas on fixing it?

At this point, I'm so broke that I don;t want to shell more money on a new tank.  :bang:

dgorms

I might have an oil tank to donate, let me check my "STASH".
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum